Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Barn cat eating eggs!  (Read 6019 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Barn cat eating eggs!
« on: November 16, 2016, 10:10:15 pm »
Hello

I have had barn cats since forever really. The latest ones have been with me for three years now, someone dumped them on my land as half grown kittens... I took them in and raised them. They are neutered and well cared for. Have access to dry food all day etc and in return they have got rid of all the mice and rats etc! The female cat has suddenly got a taste for the hen eggs! She jumps in the run a takes them from the nest boxes! Never had a cat do this before... any ideas on how I can stop her doing this?

I had been wondering what was eating the eggs this past week and today I caught her red pawed! She ran when she saw me, even though I hadn't uttered a word, so clearly knows she shouldn't do it as usually she comes up to me.  This is a real pain I need a solution, hopefully she won't start thinking about taking chicks! If she did that a friend in town says he would take her on.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Re: Barn cat eating eggs!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 09:15:35 am »
Could you try getting the eggs early and swapping them for fake eggs rubbed in something foul tasting?

Then the cat will learn that eggs taste horrible.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 05:09:49 pm »
yes we are trying to do this but the hens lay all day and they are right by the barn so the sneaky kitty beats us to it sometimes ha!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 10:04:01 am »
I would put the cat in a dog pen during the day with food and a bed. Leave her out at night. If you only feed her in the pen she might be quite happy to be there.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 02:14:16 pm »
I would put the cat in a dog pen during the day with food and a bed. Leave her out at night. If you only feed her in the pen she might be quite happy to be there.
One she can't climb out of.  My Rio's second name is Houdini  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 09:51:40 pm »
Worth a try! I have a very large puppy training crate.... See if I can break the cycle... thanks

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 01:20:41 pm »
The food could perhaps include an egg you've blown then filled with mustard or something similar.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 09:03:47 pm »
The food could perhaps include an egg you've blown then filled with mustard or something similar.

Very good idea!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS