Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scouring Lamb  (Read 2818 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Scouring Lamb
« on: June 02, 2010, 07:57:13 pm »

Just noticed that one of my lambs is scouring apart from that she seems ok, but it is very liquid. Lamb is about 3 weeks old.
Anne

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Scouring Lamb
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 09:20:05 pm »
Get something like Bimastatt from your vet - 1 1/2 mls per kg, repeat after 12 hours.  Probably the new grass running through it, but think about worms too.  Ask your vets advice as he will know your local area and what is going around.  Clean up the back end of the lamb and watch out for fly strike on the dirty wool.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 10:22:07 pm »
Check the colour - if it is dark or reddish could be coccidosis.  But if it were cocci I would think the lamb would look a bit depressed.  If it is duck s**t green could be worms.  If it is bright green - probably just grass.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 09:19:14 pm »
I would think about Coccidiosys, as it is he right time for it to come through (after about 3 weeks). Is this one of your younger lambs (i.e. last one out in the field with lots of others quite a bit older...). Had a few of mine doing this, and treated with Intradine injection, 1 ml / 3kg of bodyweight, for three days. Worked fine.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 12:03:48 pm »

Thanks all for your replies next day she was back to normal, ewes are going for shearing hopefully this week so shepherd who does them is going to check over lambs at the same time. Do the foot trimming and worming too.
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS