Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Brecon Buff Geese  (Read 4017 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Brecon Buff Geese
« on: November 09, 2016, 02:19:16 pm »
Noted in an earlier post a recommendation of these geese as lawnmowers. Can i ask some really basic questions
I have a hen house with two separate houses ( each capable of holding about 20 birds each) and a common run 5 metre by three metres. Usually the hens are let out of the run to free range extensively first thing and come in at dusk to be put away. The individual houses are not closed at night because the run is completely enclosed and roofed. Could geese and hens be kept in such close proximity until tney are let out. I am thinking 5 hens 3 geese.  I am not planning on having a gander. If not ,there are alternatives as we have a couple of empty stables.
We have a docile dog who will not chase them, will they dominate her or ignore her?
We do not have a pond but an unused but fully operating water trough. Can  they use that for a quick morning bathe?
A quick tour of the internet suggests these are friendly creatures is this usually true? (We have holiday makers staying on site)
Greg

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Brecon Buff Geese
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 07:20:00 pm »
Yup. I have geese with chickens and ducks and they are fine! Never had problems.
Also, all geese will make good lawn mowers. Choose breed which you will like to look at. Brecon buff are beautiful but the choice is yours
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 07:41:12 pm by macgro7 »
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 09:25:53 am »
I think I just have stupidly aggressive geese. The lead female is the worst, worse than the gander. I'm pretty sure they killed a 7 week old chick that wandered tooo close to them  (separated by stock fencing) and they try to attack our sheep through the fence as well. Knowing my geese I would say no to being close to chickens but I've visited other holdings with geese and thiers are a lot more friendly. So it may depend on your geese.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

davet

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 10:27:57 am »
I wouldn't describe them as friendly.  I kind of enjoy the grumpiness of mine (kindred spirits, I suppose).  They like to be with the sheep, but they do bully them occasionally.  I wouldn't confine geese with anything else (chickens, ducks or sheep) but as long as everything can get away then I wouldn't expect problems.

Everyone who stopped by after we got them had a story or two to tell about aggressive geese, so I don't think it's just mine.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 11:48:37 am »
I think the problem is you wont know you have an aggressive one until you get them. If you make one hut only accessible by the hens then they will have an escape route. Geese are a lot messier than hens. They will make a paddle around any water container. Yes, you can have a makeshift pond as long as they can get in and out easily. We used to have a large plastic dog bed.

Our hens, ducks and geese run together but they are free ranging.  There is the odd spat but generally mine are fine. An aggressive goose can kill a chicken.[size=78%].[/size]

People are intimated by geese whether they are aggressive or not. I really like my geese, they are toulouse and have never been aggressive to anyone even when they have goslings.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 12:55:08 pm »
I think the problem is you wont know you have an aggressive one until you get them.

And don't forget that things can change over time too. Our Gandalf was lovely for three years, then this summer suddenly turned really aggressive - I have no idea why.

We do have a Brecon Buff who is pretty chilled out, but as others have said, temperament seems to depend on many different factors.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 05:12:26 pm »
Our neighbour used to have geese and would ask us to put them away at night if she got held up.  It took two of us with pig boards to do it.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 05:24:03 pm »
Hmmm . Maybe not our next move then! Thanks for everyone's helpful comments. I would be willing to try but the idea of holiday makers dashing for cover because they feel intimidated is not attractive- and what would it do for our Trip Adviser rating!!

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 06:47:21 pm »
Can you keep them in an area holiday makers don't go? The eggs are awesome

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 08:07:02 pm »
not sure I could fence them in Dans. Wouldnt they just clear the fence? The hens do regularly.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 08:39:12 pm »
I find the secret to non-aggressive geese is to get them young, develop a routine and have a regular amount of human contact. (A bit like babies really)
If you can provide a heat lamp you can get them as day old chicks. Otherwise, you can get them at two weeks old, off heat. We keep them in a shed with lots of straw. I wouldn't confine them with chickens but they free range together quite happily if there is room for them all to keep a respectful distance.

Ours follow us everywhere if we have a scoop of whole wheat in our hand which is only morning and evening. The rest of the time they are eating all the grass :) .

if you have a breeding group the gander can be aggressive if he is defending a nest. Perhaps the answer is to raise a dozen or so for Christmas? They will keep the grass down when it is growing during the summer but won't grow old enough to breed.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 10:49:14 pm »
Mine are too heavy to fly. They are fine with an 80cm stock fence and wings unclipped. They were given to us as Toulouse but I'm not sure if they are pure, they are certainly hefty birds though. 

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 02:07:05 pm »
Thanks Dans. I will think about that.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS