Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Small tractor advice  (Read 3429 times)

Lottie

• Joined Aug 2016
  • North Aberdeenshire
Small tractor advice
« on: October 31, 2016, 12:37:53 pm »
We are needing to get an old small tractor however being new to smallholding we aren't 100% sure what we should be looking for and we don't want to make an expensive mistake.

For the next couple of years we will be using it for general field maintainance, turning and moving the muck heap, moving big bales around, shifting hardcore around and clearing the track in winter.

Are there any particular makes/models to look out for or avoid?

Thanks in advance :-)

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Small tractor advice
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 01:17:09 pm »
How steep is your land?

Lottie

• Joined Aug 2016
  • North Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 03:48:54 pm »
It's not massively steep but the land is on a very definite slope.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 04:07:25 pm »
Personally I'd go for an old (but sound) Massey Ferguson 35 or 135 if you can manage with 2 wheel drive. As long as it's solid it will never lose money over time.

The only problem is it may struggle lifting some of the very big bales. Depends if you just want to lift on a spike on the back or actually lift to stack with a fore end loader. In either case you'd probably need extra weights on the front or back (concrete block in the case of the latter).

Acreage and budget would also help with suggestions.

Lottie

• Joined Aug 2016
  • North Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 05:46:06 pm »
We'll be needing to stack the bales in the barn. Sorry I didn't think to give that info, 12.5 acres and budget prob no higher than around £3.5k if possible.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 07:08:09 pm »
Well you've got a slight problem wanting a 'small tractor'. My recommendation holds for a small tractor doing most of what you want (and will be within budget).

However, it wouldn't be safe (in my opinion) and maybe not even capable of lifting very large modern bales on a front loader and you may need a larger tractor to do that safely. Much depends on the bale size/weight you intend moving.

See this thread

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=31540.0

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 08:23:01 pm »
Hi,  I would agree with the advice above,  I'd suggest an industrial Massey, such as the one in this link, about on your budget, has the legendary 3 cylinder Perkins as used in the 35/135, but being industrial is stronger and more capable of front loader work. The one I've linked benefits from a 3 point linkage, pick up hitch and appears to be a manual clutch rather than an electric shuttle box, which is probably a better t hing from a reliability point of view.  You will still want weight on the back for heavy front loader work, thus can be achieved easily with wheel weights or a concrete weight, or filling rear tyres with water etc.

This has been sold once at £3100, but didn't reach its reserve...but that's what it's worth..is now on again.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302124094860?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

A Massey 165 is also a good option , slightly bigger than 135, so better for loader work, quite a few around at your budget, with loaders on.  I'd advise...you do not want multi power...it is something else to go wrong and is bad news on hills. You want a model with power steering...though it can be retro fitted. 265 and 565 are equivalent newer versions which are also available and are simple and reliable, with cheap and easy parts availability.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:25:53 pm by stufe35 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS