Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stock feed suitable for cattle and sheep in N Devon / Cornwall  (Read 6027 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Stock feed suitable for cattle and sheep in N Devon / Cornwall
« on: October 27, 2016, 03:47:28 pm »
We're feeding three different feeds here at the mo, and would like to try to rationalise that.

Our regular supplier is Mole Valley, who do not seem to offer a feed suitable for both species, and male sheep too.

Anyone in N Devon / Cornwall know where we might get something?

We've got Dexter sucklers, Jersey house cows, one of whom is working very hard at the moment feeding two calves, breeding and store Zwartbles sheep, breeding and keeping fleece sheep, including several wethers and a Shetland tup.

Only Hillie the hard-working Jersey needs feeding, but we give the others nibbles for keeping them tame, and a couple of the Zwartbles had a hard year so are getting a bit extra.

If I were still in Cumbria I would be getting Jim Peet or Tarff Valley 'all stock' mix, which is suitable for cattle, sheep, even pigs.  And is safe for male sheep.  Then I'd get Carrs' dairy nuts for Hillie.

My experience with a hardworking dairy cow is that they must have the dairy feed; a beef feed or an all stock blend just goes into making more milk, it doesn't help them to keep condition on their backs while producing milk.  So I was hoping for an 'all stock' feed, safe for male sheep, which everyone except Hillie could have.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Stock feed suitable for cattle and sheep in N Devon / Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 04:04:56 pm »
http://www.creditonmilling.co.uk/ ?  Dunno if they do what you need, but I just remembered they are down that way :)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 08:54:49 pm »
Maybe give Cornwall Farmers (now owned by Countrywide) a ring, but I think most of their beef/dairy mixes are not suitable for sheep :-\

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 08:58:47 pm »
Countrywide do a universal livestock mix
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 08:38:15 am »
[member=26580]Backinwellies[/member], could I trouble you for a link?  I googled and read some of the pages I turned up, but wasn't successful.  If you know what you're looking for...?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 12:18:00 pm »
Sally, be 'ee down yer among us already?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 05:30:59 pm »
Do a search for universal livestock mix on countrywide farmers website
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 05:33:55 pm »
Can't use for male sheep tho
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 05:57:43 pm »
If you go into ForFarmers uk and put in your postcode  , probably a depot nearby , I use an 18% nut on everything

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 07:12:34 pm »
Sally, be 'ee down yer among us already?

I be :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 08:49:29 pm »
Do a search for universal livestock mix on countrywide farmers website

Great, found that, thanks.  linky.  It is, however, as you say, not suitable for male sheep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 08:56:49 pm »
If you go into ForFarmers uk and put in your postcode  , probably a depot nearby , I use an 18% nut on everything

Ah, found the Farmgate All Stock Mix and Pencils in the Smallholder section - is that the one?

There's a stockist 6 miles away, so I'll get me a look into there.  Thanks!

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 09:00:00 pm »
No longer feeding nuts and grains to our stock.  We are part of the pasture fed group and organic

As we mob graze and use rotation we find this works.  The other option is lucerne which is highly palatable to all.

Animals shouldnt need to be fed grain if given sufficient grazing. But as you say you try to keep them tame lucerne would be ideal.

Try some lucerne for the dairy cow ours loved it.  Think its 17/18%.

Costs are imperative too.  Careful on the amounts fed you really cant justify being overzealous.

Have you seen Smiling tree farm?  Christine raises Jerseys on pasture and https://www.facebook.com/Raw-Milk-from-Grass-Fed-Jersey-Cows-The-Calf-at-Foot-Dairy-172532919457078/?fref=ts worth a look or contact both?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 09:20:27 pm »
Yes, I know Christine - she was the star turn at the nanodairying conference in February - and am very keen to adopt some of her principles.  Mob grazing isn't feasible for us, we're too small, but the once a day milking and using grass pellets I am very keen on, once we get into milking the Jerseys here.

However, at the mo I have a really quite skinny lady who will be feeding two 3-month old calves for another 3 weeks, and I want to at least stop her losing any more weight.  I know that a pukka dairy ration works for her, so that's what she'll get, for now.  Once the second calf gets switched onto the new calver, I shall try both of the ladies on a grass pellet.  Maybe with sugar beet, if they need it, and/or a molassed chaff, if I need more bulk to keep Katy chomping while I milk her.  And I'd much prefer grass pellets for treats/nibbles for the primitive type sheep, too, although we'll need to keep an eye on minerals then.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 02:35:38 pm »
Jersey cows are very prone to milk fever if heavy milkers (I think I used to treat 1 in 3 or 4 of our herd when I used to milk them) so I would be reluctant to rely on pasture at peak yield time if you are expecting them to multi suckle ...
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS