Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Using goats milk  (Read 2575 times)

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
Using goats milk
« on: October 24, 2016, 01:10:46 pm »
Hi the kids are more or less weened now and I now have two litres a day excess. Up to now been giving the surplus to the dogs but now intend to use it for us.
I have been told to dip the treats with iodine before milking if I want to use the milk unpasteurized.
I have 10% iodine, does anyone know how much I should dilute it before using it?
Also any advice as to what other measures I should take to ensure that it is safe?
Many thanks
Angie

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Using goats milk
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 01:45:03 pm »
Cleaning the teats/udder pre-milking with either teat wipes (quite expensive if you only have one or two) or using unscented baby wipes (cheaper, but still not that environmentally friendly) or using warm water and cloth to wipe, then dry with dry cloth (cheap, probably more environmentally friendly, but not hygienic if milking more than a couple of goats)... is all that is needed. I teat-dip with a weak iodine solution after milking, as I had some mastitis issues a couple of years back and have since done it after every milking - a lot less mastitis, but still occasional problems. I just put some Capriclense and add a lot of water to the teat-dip cup, you want it quite weak for teat dipping.

You filter the milk through either proprietary milk filters (easy and quick) or some people use muslin. If the milk doesn't go through the filter easily - you may have a problem with mastitis (often sub-clinical, but it is a quick indicator that something is amiss).

I do not pasteurise the milk we drink fresh, although have had to pasteurise the milk I used for cheese over summer, due to (most likely) yeast and/or bacterial problems in the warm and humid weather.

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 02:00:02 pm »
Thank you Anke for your helpful advice.

Going to hopefully make cheese and yought also.

Angie

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 07:21:13 am »
From my cow milking days ... a dry wipe was best if teats look clean (anything else can increase bacteria) then iodine dip afterwards to prevent infection entering still open teat ducts. .... don't expect goats would be much different
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 09:31:59 am »
I use teat wipes flowed by Capriclense to close the teats plus a cream to help keep the girls teats supple. Just had home grown melon with meusli goats yoghurt and honey for breakfast. Sheer luxury  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS