Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Would this breed be good enough for spinning wool?  (Read 1764 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Would this breed be good enough for spinning wool?
« on: October 13, 2016, 01:26:52 pm »
I cam across some adverts for these aniamls here, so I decided to check out the society webpage. According to them this particular breed of hillsheep, although primarily kept for meat production, has also got finer wool than most hill breeds. What about it?
http://www.derbyshiregritstonesheep.com/wp/
Aha thought so..... apparently it is popular with smallholders who like to spin the wool.
http://www.derbyshiregritstonesheep.com/wp/
Has anybody tried this breed at all?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 01:28:27 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Would this breed be good enough for spinning wool?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 02:02:46 pm »
Never even heard of them, let alone tried spinning their fleece.

Be interesting to hear what others say
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 02:48:56 pm »
If they're anything like my Badger Face the fleece will vary according to the individual animal.  Some have quite good quality fleece, others definitely not.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 04:28:03 pm »
I have spun Derbyshire Gritstone and I like it very much.  It would make a super aran sweater, hat or gloves, that sort of thing.  Yes, finer than many of the other hill breeds - but it is surprising how many of the hill sheep have really usable fleece.

As with any breed, you still need an individual with particularly nice fleece (I've seen even Shetland fleeces I wouldn't want to spin), the sheep needs to have been healthy all year while she's been growing the fleece, and it needs to have been clipped correctly, skirted and stored appropriately.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS