Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lost my view - what can I do ?  (Read 9823 times)

HappyHippy

Lost my view - what can I do ?
« on: May 30, 2010, 03:16:38 pm »
My neighbours (who've been here for around 2 years) have all of a sudden erected a fence along the top of my wall (though not actually attached to it), blocking the only open view from my garden. The wall itself is at least 8ft high (it's the side of a building that also acts as a terrace on the land, their land is lower than ours) so the over-all height I'd say, exceeds 12 ft. I can see no legitimate reason for it to have been put up, other than to block the view - we're not hanging over the wall or anything like that  ;) in fact, since the shed roof came down in the winter we've had fencing about 15ft away from the wall to stop the kids going near until we get the machines in to repair it all. Relations are somewhat strained, so it's not the kind of thing that's going to be reasonably discussed - so what would you do folks ? Apart from a chainsaw and a sledgehammer  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Lost my view - what can I do ?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 03:38:09 pm »
That s quite norty isnt it  :o   I d be speaking to the council maybe, perhaps they doing it just to be awkward, hope you get a good outcome :)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 05:15:55 pm »
Hi

If relations are too strained to just ask them what its for, perhaps you can write to them and ask if there is a particular reason for it?

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 08:35:02 pm »
Hi,
You need to contact your the planning department at the local council - they are normally responsible for saying how high a fence can be. Fences aren't generally allowed to be more than 2 metres high but it does vary from place to place. The fence must be measured from the ground on their side of the fence so as their land is lower I guess this fence will definitely exceed the 2 metre rule. You could also check the deeds to your property to see whose responsibility it is to fence that particular boundary. The council can force them to take the fence down if its too high but I'm guessing that won't help the neighbourly relationship any!
Hope that helps,
Susie

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 12:38:15 am »
That fence does sound over height for a garden.  Maybe they can be made to reduce it?  As to a view, I do not think anyone has a "right to a view".  Surely at that height it will take away light from your garden.  I wonder why they wanted something so tall anyway?

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 12:49:01 am »
 ??? Oh dear...not sure a view is a legal thing????

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 12:37:49 pm »
My worry was exactly that  :( Blocking light or access I know IS a legal matter, too bad the view doesn't come under the same heading. I'm sure planning will have something to say on the matter though.  ;)
It's funny how this is the second time they've pulled a stunt like this when I'm just 2 weeks away from giving birth  ::)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 05:17:07 pm »
found this
Gates, walls and fences do not require Planning Permission or Building Regulation approval if:
They are no more than 2m high.
or
If they adjoin a highway, no more than 1m high.
Although Building Regulations do not apply, remember that you may be liable if members of the public suffer damage from the structure. So the structure must be structurally sound and maintained. Barbed wire below 2 metres is not a good idea adjacent to a highway, nor are spikes or broken glass embedded along the top of a wall.

Hedges are not covered by planning permission. However, the local Highways Authorities do place the responsibility on property owners to ensure that hedges and trees do not overhang public walk or road ways or obstruct street lights. There should be nothing overhanging a walkway or pavement adjacent to the boundary of a property, to a height of 2.3m (7ft 6in), and for a carriageway, and the area immediately adjacent for a distance of 0.45m (1ft 6 in), there must be not vegetation below 5.2m (17ft).

You could allways try arguing that it's height is tall and it is unstable, it could fall  if knocked by a child or animal? hence a safety issue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 05:31:22 pm »
I think you need to contact your lawyer, Karen.  No point in giving yourself extra worry when you are about to give birth - not good for the baby.  Look after yourself!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 06:09:31 pm »
Thanks Cameron, alas it's a very sturdy and secure fence. It's actually a really nice fence - I'd just rather be looking out at open countryside  :(
Annie, don't worry I don't really DO stressed (my tolerance levels are WAY to high for that - comes from all the years of dealing with Kaitlin ;)) as my parents are the house owners I'm leaving them to go down the 'official' route with planning, lawyers etc - I'm staying calm and relaxed, and well out of it !  8)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 08:45:14 pm »
Sounds to me like you're being very sensible.  It does seem an odd thing to do putting that fence up.  Good luck with it.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 08:59:45 pm »
Hi happyhippy sorry you're having such hassle. You need to contact your planning enforcement dept. You have no legal right to a view I'm afraid but if the fence is above 2 m high they will be asked to reduce it. Happened to a friend of mine and the neighbour had to lower it. That being said neighbourly relations have been somewhat frosty since I hear.. Good luck try not to worry too much you need to rest and look after yourself thus close to your baby arriving.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 10:30:27 pm »
or one of these might come in handy

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 12:12:42 am »
Ok Cameron what's with the beaver? Good with dams not sure on fences but hey who knows..

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 12:24:06 pm »
My uncle had a family of beavers living in his river (granted this is in America), that chewed through a wooden fence when it was put up in their path, so that was my reasoning  ;D long shot but you could have said ruining animal habitats  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS