Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep scouring on new pasture  (Read 5249 times)

Campip

• Joined Sep 2016
Sheep scouring on new pasture
« on: October 01, 2016, 12:37:19 am »
Help please. I am very new to keeping sheep. I have had 4 Ryelands since the beginning of August...three ewe lambs and a wether. They were wormed soon after I got them and follow up faecal sampling has been OK. I have a small paddock that opens onto a field that has'nt been grazed for over a year. They are Ok while they're in the paddock but as soon as I let them into the field they start scouring, especially the wether. I have currently "borrowed" a horse to help graze the field but I am not winning. Someone advised me to leave them in the field and they would get used to the pasture but that hasn't worked. I can't keep them in the paddock all the time. And in the meantime I have 4 sheep with dirty bums....

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Sheep scouring on new pasture
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 09:43:13 am »
get field topped ... too much grass.

Don't worry too much about scouring from lush grass ... it wont harm sheep much provided fly strike isn't an issue.   Try restricted time grazing the field each day. 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 09:44:53 am »
Might just be the grass is a bit rich, this time of year there is normally a spurt before winter sets in. You could offer hay/straw in a feeder for them to pick at. If it's very wet then they might need treating for fluke, there's a lot of it around this year- did you use a combined fluke and wormer in August or just a wormer?

Campip

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 06:53:38 pm »
Thank you...that's helpful. I will try restricting the times they are in the field, and perhaps get it mown. It sounds as if if I'm patient seasonal change will sort the problem, and I think I'm probably just about out of fly-strike season now it's beginning to get cooler...or shouldn't I bank on it?
I Treated them with ivermectin so I suppose fluke is a possibility, though they do get better if I keep them off the field.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 07:09:05 pm »
Common complaint this year lots of rich very wet grass , they tend to adapt after a week or so

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 03:59:34 pm »
I'd also crutch them - it'll help keep them cleaner for shearing next year.  Do the inside of the back legs too.  Also watch out for wool growth around their eyes over Winter - If it's too long they can go wool blind - just get someone to hold them firmly and put one hand over the eye whilst clipping back about 7cm around the eye.  If you get a lot of snow in Winter clip back under their chin too, as it'll pick up a lot of snow.

Campip

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 09:12:23 am »
Thankyou. I live in the High Peak so it gets cold round here and we have snow when no one else does...so great advice

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS