Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Store Lambs  (Read 3121 times)

Cuddles

• Joined Feb 2014
Store Lambs
« on: September 28, 2016, 03:27:20 pm »
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on store lambs.  I've got about 10acres of pasture that, while it isn't the best quality grass, is way more than my wee flock of 6 ewes can keep up with.  I've been topping the some of fields this year but I'm sure I could be putting them to better/more productive use.  I'm still a relative novice (first lambing next year hopefully) so ramping up the breeding flock just now feels like I would be running before I could walk...

So ...   I was thinking about buying in some commercial type lambs early next spring/summer and then selling them on once they had fattened up later in the year.  Has anyone here had good/bad experiences doing this type of thing?  I was also going to go onto the There are other options, rent out the pasture or get someone in to bale it up for silage (how long does a bale last once its been opened?) but store lambs seems to be my preferred option for now. 
(It might even mean I dont spend as much on wormers etc per dose.)

Who would buy the lambs and what disease\pathogens I might be introducing onto my land are probably topics for another thread :D

Anyway... all opinions welcome...

Cuddles

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Store Lambs
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 08:10:58 pm »
As you mention, what else you're buying in with store lambs is a worry.   When they go they could leave behind resistant worms, fluke, etc., even if they've had no actual contact with your ewes.  I'd be inclined to get it made into small hay bales, which will last, be easy to handle and give you aftermath grazing ready for the Autumn.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 08:13:33 pm »
Whereabouts are you? I have a load of store ram lambs available now..... if you like?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Cuddles

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 09:45:35 am »
Thanks MF.  I'll be speaking to one of the local contractors soon so I'll also ask him about costs for baling etc.

Whereabouts are you? I have a load of store ram lambs available now..... if you like?
  Haha... Thanks for the offer WB.  I'm based in central Scotland but I think I have enough to be getting on with this year.  ;D   

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 11:13:30 am »
Only thing is most store lambs are sold in the autumn. Once the grass gap done most of its growing.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 11:38:59 am »
Only thing is most store lambs are sold in the autumn. Once the grass gap done most of its growing.

Yes agree, normally the lambs that aren't fit to kill by the time tupping season comes round again. I would section half of your field off for hay if you can find someone with the right equipment rather than the stress of buying lambs from unknown sources and risking them not being finished by winter, plus come autumn lamb prices at market always fall due to the supply (unless you decide to run them on over next winter and sell as hoggs in Feb/March when the prices are higher).

Cuddles

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 11:49:10 am »
you see, this is why I love this forum.  I can think through half baked ideas about what my next project might be and someone will politely point out the glaring hole in my plan.  Thank you twizzel & sheeponthebrain!  good points, well made  :)

much love and cuddles to all  :hug:

Cuddles

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS