Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Addicted to sheep  (Read 4378 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Addicted to sheep
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 02:53:30 pm »
What about Novocaine for dehorning calves?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 02:59:26 pm »
Thinking exactly the same MF ... did it all the time in my previous job teaching students how to dehorn and now do the odd one of my own.  No vet required!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 12:50:44 am »
To be fair on them - Im 25 mins from a vet, and have had to wait over 6 hours for one (by which time It wa spointless and animal was .22) proximity does not mean you will get a vet when you need it, and remember it is TV - editing will play a large part in how it comes across, and whats to say the ewe wasnt inside 5 mins after filming?
And if their were 5 other stuck lambs in the field at that moment, I'd of been much the same in a rush.
As for de horning - Just re-watched, yes probably abit tight on the amount taken off, nothing wrong with moss, and again basing judgement on editing is risky,
And finally - We'll all do it and over trim - and anyone with horned sheep will agree - you will always have SOME that need trimming back, its not a sign of bad farming that a few need it, frequency would be the measure of that.

I would not be surprised if that one was chosen for the edit because it bled, out of how every many were filmed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS