Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Landrover Insurance  (Read 4488 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Landrover Insurance
« on: September 27, 2016, 07:12:23 am »
So I just had the renewal quote through for insuring our Defender 90, and the premium has increased from £180 last year to £330 this year (that's an increase of 80% despite having made no claims or changes  ??? ). I also need to insure it for business use now, so that's going to add another bit on.

I'm going to shop around again, so has anybody else had a decent quote recently for a 4x4? Choices are restricted because I need to include off-road use (i.e. around the fields), which the standard insurers won't touch.

Cheers!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Landrover Insurance
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 08:30:50 am »
Defenders are one of the most (and easily) stolen vehicles which is why their insurance premiums are rising

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/car-industry-news/2016/04/29/thefts-of-land-rover-defenders-increased-by-75

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 08:42:09 am »
i think its just all veichle insurance has gone

i have a 57 plate focus and its gone up £60 year and that was  cheapest quote
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 09:17:06 am »
Defenders are one of the most (and easily) stolen vehicles which is why their insurance premiums are rising

That's because the security is rubbish and the whole thing can be dismantled with a 13mm spanner. Also in my case most of the parts are no longer original, so would be very difficult to trace if sold. Actually I half wish somebody would get on and nick it so I can buy myself something with fewer idiosyncrasies  :roflanim:

Still, +80%?  Are they having a giraffe?

Edit: I just phoned my original insurance broker. They can offer me a business policy with no off-roading, or an off-road policy with no business use.  Either one is going to cost me more per mile travelled than the fuel does!!

Quick question: Am I right in saying that if I went for an on-road only policy, I could still use the Landy around the farm and on our neighbour's land (collecting wood) at our own risk without invalidating the policy?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 09:57:31 am by Womble »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 09:57:00 am »
I agree it's ridiculous.
Got mine insured with the NFU and don't think I'm paying that much for a TD5 with protected no claims.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 10:06:34 am »

We had our series 3 insured through Lancaster Insurance and our last renewal notice in July last year the premium was £114 including £25 legal cover - all fully comp although just social, domestic and pleasure - no business use.

We've since sold Sandy the landy so no renewal this year for comparison

Regards
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 11:38:48 am »
My landy is insured with Diamond, a very good price. £34 a month including being off road and my reversing into other cars regularly!!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 01:06:14 pm »
NFU are pretty good with Land Rovers in my experience.  I pay £300 for my 110.  Best thing is to shop around, get a cheaper quote then go back and say that you will leave them for another company - I bet the price soon gets "adjusted". 

A friend had his stolen from outside his house - it was going to be used in a ram raid!  The thieves ended up being chased through town by police and ended up crashing it into the police station - muppets! ;D

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 02:28:23 pm »
Its cos city people are pimping them up.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 02:29:03 pm »
Meanwhile they are still parked on most farms with the keys in.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 02:41:14 pm »
Stick some upgrades on it and do it through adrian flux

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 08:43:45 pm »
My Landy 90 is insured through Adrian Flux - am just sorting out an insurance claim when a Ford Focus decided to get up close and personal to Landy's nearside rear quarter at a junction yesterday - currently quite happy with how they are taking on the whole thing. My fully comp on a 96 plate was £165 inc legal, SDP and commuting. Dunno about off-roading though - we take Landy off road to the various farm auctions

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 10:52:53 pm »

NFU every time. They quoted 50% cheaper than Aviva at my last renewal on my Defender.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 07:48:58 pm »
Thanks everybody,

I put it on a standard car policy in the end for £200, which includes the business use but sadly not any off-roading.

I was actually insured through Adrian Flux a few years ago, and via Lancaster last year. They're a broker, so it turns out the reason for the hike in premium was that the same policy was not available for renewal, so they quoted me the next best available option.

It could be worse I suppose - A young friend of mine is paying £1250 for his knackered old Fiesta!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS