Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: strawberries  (Read 7988 times)

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
strawberries
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:18:19 pm »
Hi
Just wondering whether you folks put straw or anything down to stop the fruit spoiling on the ground - am considering putting some of that black sheet stuff under mine this year - which will involve laying it over the top and trying to cut holes for the plants in the right places! Tricky ... ???

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: strawberries
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 10:34:22 pm »
I'm just going to use straw. I've just pulled up most of the black membrane that the previous owners had down - too many weeds growing through it!!  ::)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 12:08:24 am »
Plant them in hanging baskets, the fruit grows over the top.  Screw to a wall/fence then you can net them
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 08:23:15 am »
Vair just for fun if you have a bit of space.Suspend a piece of the larger type of rain water guttering.Fill it with a good growing compost and plant the strawberry plants in it keep it watered and the strawberries will hang down like grapes cover with a bit of plastic netting to keep the bods off easy.If you like the idea the year after you can do more. :D :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 09:03:25 am »
Hi,

We find it's a toss up to cover the ground or not - if you don't then some fruit may get spoilt, if you do then you may be giving a good hiding place for slugs.

The general thing we find with some of the "pick your own" establishments we supply is that they dont cover the ground.

Matter of choice I suppose.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 02:55:29 pm »
when we moved in to our holding last year it was mid june and we found the most amazing strawberry bed!! it was never covered, apart from blinkin bindweed  ::) and there was so much fruit it was unbelieveable.
this year I have left it uncovered and will probably put some egg shells down to try to deter the slugs (maybe some lager too?)
its stopping the children eating them all that's my problem - I want to make jam!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 04:13:23 pm »
Nah - don't put the lager out - drink that! If you're partial to 'proper' coffee, the coffee grounds will stop the slugs!

I'm going to have the same problem with Leo - strawberries & tomatoes won't last 5 minutes with him around!

Like your idea George!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 05:21:39 pm »
 ;D last year Scarlett pulled every green tomato off all my plants and threw them in the fishpond. great.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 06:46:05 pm »
Was her bum scarlet after ??? :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 07:58:42 pm »
ha ha - should have been!! i grew them all from seed and never got one tomato!!!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 09:12:29 pm »
This is the biggest problem with gardening.Every thing has to be done in its window and if the plants had green ones on its to late to plant fresh seed. ??? :farmer:

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 09:53:08 pm »
Annie and George - it is an existing bed -  but if I get more plants I will try your ideas! Now, I didnt know slugs dislike coffee grounds - interesting! We do have a couple of pots of "proper" coffee to get us going in the morning - so I should just tip the grounds around the strawberry plants? It won't harm the plants will it??

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 10:01:43 pm »
This is the biggest problem with gardening.Every thing has to be done in its window and if the plants had green ones on its to late to plant fresh seed. ??? :farmer:
No, but you CAN use teh green tomatoes - make GT Chutney - delish!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 07:49:28 am »
Who last Peed in the pond Annie love? ??? ;D :farmer: :wave:

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 12:08:35 pm »
Coffe grounds won't harm the plants - mine usually go on the compost heap, but this year they will be put around the strawberry patch!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS