Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie sheep owner, sick sheep please help!  (Read 2408 times)

Sarahjane610

• Joined Jun 2016
Newbie sheep owner, sick sheep please help!
« on: September 17, 2016, 08:07:26 am »
Hi all,

My starter flock of Southdowns arrived about 3 weeks ago.  I bought them from a reputable breeder and they had all been vaccinated, wormed and fly strike treated.  The I have 4 ewes in lamb (due Christmas) and one of them looks really depressed and is limping a lot.  This has gone on since Wed evening.  I checked her for fly on Thurs and found some (although I was surprised as I thought treatment was meant to last 8-10 weeks) and dealt with it by cutting away affected wool and clean wool around the area, treated area and sprayed it but yesterday evening and this morning she is still looking depressed and limping.  I checked her feet and can't find anything wrong with them.  Next step I will get the vet out.  Before that, just wondered if anyone else had any ideas!!!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Newbie sheep owner, sick sheep please help!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 08:22:01 am »
Have you checked her all over for strike? Treatments for strike are not guaranteed to prevent 100%. Sounds like there is still something bothering her foot for her to be limping.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 09:12:40 am »
Check her again all over for strike, spray between toes on sore foot with Terramycin spray and give a jab of Alamycin.

Sarahjane610

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 10:53:03 am »
Thanks so much guys.  She's eating which has to be a good sign??  Will do as you say.  Didn't get much sleep last night worrying about her!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS