Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Working a ram after pneumonia?  (Read 2799 times)

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
Working a ram after pneumonia?
« on: September 15, 2016, 03:23:18 pm »
Took my ram to the vet this morning as he wasn't himself (tucked up, quiet and ignoring the girls) and he's been diagnosed with and treated for pneumonia. Vet's said to give him 2-4 weeks rest then try him again and see if he works. I was wondering whether anyone has experienced pneumonia in a ram at the start of the breeding season and whether they came back, or whether I should just pop my girls in with my OH's Berrichon ram and just accept I won't have any pedigree lambs next year? He's not served any of my girls and I've only got 5 ewes so not really worth hiring or buying another ram...

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Working a ram after pneumonia?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 06:21:51 pm »
Depends on on how high a temp he reached 2-4 degrees over normal can kill the sperm temporarily  and it may be 6-8wks before all is back to normal  , you could if you wanted have a sperm sample checked ,not a big job and should not be costly

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 05:52:52 pm »
Thanks, he's being a complete horror (broke out of the stable last night, jumped a 5 bar gate into the field my OH's sheep are in, got in a fight with the Berrichon ram and tupped a Welsh ewe :rant: ) then this afternoon broke the stable door and dented the side of my OH's truck which was parked outside the stable to block his view of the sheep in that field.

He's now on rented grazing a mile away with a served ewe for company so he'd better behave himself! I'm feeling rather hopeful that he might be up for the job again in not too long :) :fc:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 07:09:32 pm »
If he can do all that then seems like he just had a little off day , so all should be fine

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 08:30:45 pm »
Hmm, if one of mine did that they'd be making a one-way trip to the cull pens at market.

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 10:04:01 am »
If he wasn't generally a nice ram with good breeding that I want in my flock, I'd be of the same opinion but in this instance, I'm willing to make an exception. To give an idea as to his usual temperament, I can catch him and halter him in the field by simply walking up to him. He clearly just doesn't like being contained in the stable which is fair enough :)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 12:51:11 pm »
If he wasn't generally a nice ram with good breeding that I want in my flock, I'd be of the same opinion but in this instance, I'm willing to make an exception. To give an idea as to his usual temperament, I can catch him and halter him in the field by simply walking up to him. He clearly just doesn't like being contained in the stable which is fair enough :)
Yup agree, fair enough. They generally are very frisky at this time of year anyway, I had a shearling ram like that a few weeks back, I had to keep him in a building as he got in with ewe lambs next door. Thankfully i sold him, but boy was he a real pain!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS