Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Winter muckers/wellies  (Read 2943 times)

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
Winter muckers/wellies
« on: September 15, 2016, 12:45:37 pm »
Hi all

We're fairly new to this smallholding lark, since January of this year to be exact.  However we've had horses for a good few years so I'm used to the hard work.  I'd love to know what you all use boot wise over the wetter and colder months.  I had a pair of hunter wellies as a gift and they were rubbish, daily use saw them split after 6 months!  So I bought a £20 pair of mucker types from Amazon each winter instead.  They do the job and get flung out come summer when they usually start dropping to bits. 

Do you have a preferred boot/type, what about warmth as wellies are notoriously cold!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Winter muckers/wellies
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 01:06:56 pm »
Regularly discussed.  Search Dunlop Purfort (my personal choice, light as a feather, great grip, and outlast everything else I've tried apart from Le Chameau - and are half the price, or less, of Le Chameau) or Chameau or Muck Boots.  Oh, or Aigle.  Hunters always get mentioned, of course, but not so specific a search term!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 01:57:00 pm »
I have a pair of Le Chameau boots, now 3 years old.  I haven't got a single complaint about them, they still look new even though I wear them every single day all through the year too! 
They have a very good padding inside, and keep your feet really warm in the winter and keep you cool in the summer (to a certain extent)!
If these ever wear out, I will definitely be getting another pair.  They are expensive but well worth it.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 06:27:17 pm »
Grubbs frontline muck boots, can absolutely recommend, waterproof and very warm, infact sometimes too warm
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 06:29:29 pm by mojocafa »
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 06:29:02 pm »
BEKINA STEP LITE   2yrold  worn every day , as good as new ,  warm in winter  ,  silage  oil  sheep and cow muck al no problem and side ankle support al for circa £60

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 08:02:46 am »
I bought a pair of Muck Boots- the Muckmaster version. very warm and comfortable, even in hot weather. But I was surprised that after two years the sole split away from the upper and they leaked. The second pair cost £72, are not as well made as the first and so will probably be my last. Sounds like Le Chameau should be the replacements.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 09:41:34 am »
Bekina Steplite.  Brilliant grip, very lightweight.  Safety and non-safety available.

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 12:58:01 pm »
Great responses thank you so much.  I've found a local store that does Le Chameau wellies along with a few other recommendations so I am going to go in and try some on.  After all Christmas is coming as is my birthday so I think a treat might be in order.  Either that or a few more sheep.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 08:09:49 pm »
I went to MVF to buy a pair of standard wellies (10 quid) they didn't have any in my size, looked around and saw a very posh pair for £24-99. They'll do, I thought, a bit more than I would usually pay but it's them or crocs through the wet grass. I took them to the till and only then found that they were not £24-99 but £204-99!!!!!!!!!!! For a pair of feckin' wellies??!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS