Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nail in hoof  (Read 7310 times)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: Nail in hoof
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 11:59:56 am »
prevention is better than the cure. think what a&e if it was you. you would get it washed out a tet jab and some antibiotic tabs. your choice they are your animals. ask yourself how long it was in there and what has it walked through. i would give her a jab for her sake.

Can't remember the last time I went to a&e for an injury - though I probably should've done for at least two according to a nurse I know.  :D

I don't think it was in there for very long - 1 hour at the most - though it probably seemed long enough to her, and the weather here's been dry for a month so there's no mud. I was thinking that as it didn't bleed the nail hadn't penetrated deep enough to cause trouble.

Point taken though - prevention IS better than cure; and I didn't write this post only to ignore the wisdom of majority so...

...Personally I would give an antibiotic shot just in case. I keep it in the fridge ready ;)

That prompts a cheapskates question: Where do I buy them from? the vet??

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 12:14:40 pm »
yup ours will supply a drawn up messure. we are very lucky with our vets up here they are very helpful. and very reasonable too.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 05:42:24 pm »
puncture wounds can = tetanus risk.....be aware!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS