Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nail in hoof  (Read 7309 times)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Nail in hoof
« on: May 25, 2010, 07:59:34 pm »
Another question for the sheep experts:-

One of my ewes managed to find a nail by stepping on it yesterday - ouch!

It was stuck in the inner side of the toe of a fore-hoof. When I pulled it out there was no blood and the hoof is otherwise in good condition.

Should it heal up ok by itself or should I get a vet to look at it?

She's putting weight on it now, but still limping quite noticeably.

mab

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Nail in hoof
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 10:38:34 pm »
poor girl. i would be too. have you sprayed it with the antibiotic.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 11:51:04 am »
Yes, although it was the following morning when I got some - being my usual disorganised self, I didn't have any on hand.

mab

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 12:25:21 pm »
never mind you have some now. we had one which had an abcess a couple injections of antibiotics and pain killers and two weeks in the byre and she was better. if she is getting worse its what i would do.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 02:13:13 pm »
I agree, get her jabbed, hope she sosund soon :)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 02:22:50 pm »
Puncture wounds can be really bad as the infection is sealed in deep as the flesh closes up on itself, especially from a rusty nail! .An antibiotic cover jab sounds in order.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 03:03:30 pm »
that reminds me watch were your daughters leave tweezers one of mine left a pair sticking up on the settee its a good job ruth is a nurse they were well stuck in.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 03:14:29 pm »
 Stuck in what? :o  oops , Luckily my daughter keeps all her gear in her bedroom . You do get a shock though when a cat is under the cusions  :cat:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 04:44:04 pm »
lets just say it was in a well padded area. it took a good pull to get it out.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 10:00:38 pm »
Ouch! re: the tweezers.

Back to the sheep: Thanks for the advice... but - if I might be argumentative for a moment - I was under the impression that one should avoid excessive use of antibiotics, so I had been thinking of only getting her a jab if it looked like there might be an infection. Do you think it's better to always get a jab anyway?

I checked her foot again today; there's no perceptible swelling and it isn't hot... yet.

mab

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 07:35:14 am »
prevention is better than the cure. think what a&e if it was you. you would get it washed out a tet jab and some antibiotic tabs. your choice they are your animals. ask yourself how long it was in there and what has it walked through. i would give her a jab for her sake.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 10:02:57 am »
The sheep farmer I know wouldnt  do anything unless there was a problem, then he'd give antibiotic. Personally I would give an antibiotic shot just in case. I keep it in the fridge ready ;)

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 10:48:37 am »
if you can clean a wound out then often antibiotic cover is not necessary but a deep wound that quickly closes over it likely to be a big problem before its noticed and a shot of antibiotic as a preventative is (IMO) worthwhile
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 10:56:13 am »
Yes, best to treat from the inside out, plus the ab spray :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 11:41:42 am »
I agree that an AntiB injection is warranted here.  I would have phoned my vet to ask which one would be most appropriate.  A deep penetrating wound is dangerous - trouble might not become evident for quite a while.  The advice not to use AntiBs unneccessarily applies to actions such as routinely giving watery mouth mix to all newborn lambs whether they need it or not - and for most of us, especially if we lamb outdoors, it's not.
The problem which arises from overuse of AntiBs is resistance - if animals build up resistance to the drug, or the particular bugs build up resistance to the AntiBs, then there would be nothing left which would be active when we have a genuine need for them, as in this case.  Also there is a difference between giving AntiBs to breeding stock and to meat animals, from the human consumption viewpoint, which might make you think twice, but still the animals welfare has to come first.  Nowadays we all have a duty of care towards all our livestock and this little animal should get its shot.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS