Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A couple of questions  (Read 1516 times)

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
A couple of questions
« on: August 31, 2016, 01:18:04 pm »
I am a newbie here having just bought a house in Cornwall with 2.5 acres laid to grass, 50 plus fruit trees and numerous other trees and therefore I am going to have a few questions I hope you can help with.

1. I have a ride on mower and I have to say cutting the grass last weekend was a bit scary on the sloping ground. As I am keen on getting something that I can put a trailer on to move logs, garden equipment etc I was wondering whether I sghould go fior a ATV but if I do I want it to be as stable as possible, any suggestions?

2. I want to put in a vegtable growing area but the only place suitable is in the general area of the sesspit disttribution field. As this is a sloping part of the ground I was thinking that I could put in raised beds as I believe it is not suitable to plant right on top of the distribution field. Is there any issues doingt this?

3. As I am planning on raised beds is there a cheaper but just as strong and long lasting option other than railway sleepers?

Thanks it for now, I will check through the threds for other issues such as what chainsaw to get etc,

Thanks for any help.
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

farmerg

• Joined Oct 2016
Re: A couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 02:34:15 pm »
i know the original post is a month old but i hope this might help with question 3.

I have helped a friend make raised beds using concrete gravel boards + concrete corner posts and some concrete, we did this due to a surplus of gravel boards and concrete ;)

The difference in cost compared to sleepers would depend on what type of sleeper you intended on using , soft wood landscaping sleepers are relatively cheap put life span is limited in my experience where as original railway sleepers or new hardwood sleepers last a relatively long time but cost substantially more.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS