Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just bought a Massey Ferguson 35  (Read 10012 times)

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
Just bought a Massey Ferguson 35
« on: August 29, 2016, 12:31:39 pm »
Or I will do once the seller gets the hydraulics double-checked - they're working, but he says he won't take my money off me until it's been to a mechanic and he's certain it'll lift more than just me sitting on it, as it was struggling a little with his mower. 

Can anyone recommend a good book for teaching me how to maintain it properly?  I found this on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Massey-Ferguson-Tractor-Workshop-Service/dp/1908397128

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Just bought a Massey Ferguson 35
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 09:54:40 pm »
Ooooooo ,  I had a MF35 4 cylinder though, at that time so did both the neighbors either side , but I was the only one with a workshop manual ( I'm like that ) it was rarely opened !.
The 3 pont linkage should be capable of lifting just over a tonne , when new , so account for age !
If it is already in good order then its change oil using the correct oil to preserve the oil seals , I did mine once a year for all the work it did , same with the filters oil, air and fuel , keep the backend oil to the correct level and clean.
Oh and buy it a new best friend..... a grease gun ( with grease ! )
When and if you get a book on it write the engine & gearbox   numbers and the year on it. Bits are easy to get , advice even easier up here as everyone's father /grand father had one .
The only trouble I ever had was when I first got it and stripped the steering worm housing and lost the ball bearings, thinking all maybe lost I took the drive of shame to Inverurie to the dealer in the vain hope of getting spares for such an old tractor. The parts chap ( aged about 300 ) just looked at me with an expressionless face when I told him what had happened , he dissapeared , shortly returning with a new worm housing and 21 new ball bearings and another somber faced chap.
There then followed a bit of a telling off, then instructions on how to fit it all back together.
I purchased a copy of the dealer workshop manual , but rarely opened it as the 35 is so simple.
Keep the paint work nice too. I regret selling her .
( thats the short reply  :thumbsup: )

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 10:06:26 pm »
You have bought one of the best tractors ever made..one that was streets ahead of the competition at the time it was introduced, and ideal for the smallholder as it is light powerful and manouverable.  Parts are readily easily and cheaply available....though seldom needed.   The early models had a standard 4 cylinder engine which was difficult to start...but they have been modified and sorted generally these days. Next came the 3 cylinder Perkins engine which is legendary.

Show it a grease gun once in a while, change the oil every couple of years......most of them have lasted about 50 years on this basis....working full time on farms...not once in a while on a small holding. Keep antifreeze/ water level checked.

I have one of the very first 35 models...nov 1956.  My dad bought it in 1978... When it was already 22 years old....it's now just short of 60 years old !

What year and what engine is the one you have bought ?  They were made until 1963-4 when the 135 was introduced. Essentially the same machine with a different bonnet and slightly more advanced hydraulics.

Ps I'd suggest buying an original users/operators manual. Reprints are available from a number of sources. I think there are supplements available to cover which engine you have.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:58:34 am by stufe35 »

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 07:16:47 am »
Thank you both  :thumbsup:  I am embarrassed to say that I have absolutely no idea what engine or year it is - I've bought it on the advice of a tractor-fanatic friend who came across it when going to see a topper and realised it would be perfect for me.  I shall report back when it arrives!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 07:32:42 am »
If the oily bits are as good as the exterior it looks a good buy.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 07:57:40 am »
Its the 3 cylinder perkins model.  Good buy.

Have you sorted insurance ?  If not IMHO you are best with one of the vintage insurance people.  You will get this insured for about £50 a year,  ill let you know the company I use if interested...they cover agricultural use (some don't- just covering social domestic pleasure and show grounds).  However if you go to NFU as a working tractor they will want something like £200.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:16:16 am by stufe35 »

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 12:18:46 pm »
Its the 3 cylinder perkins model.  Good buy.

Have you sorted insurance ?  If not IMHO you are best with one of the vintage insurance people.  You will get this insured for about £50 a year,  ill let you know the company I use if interested...they cover agricultural use (some don't- just covering social domestic pleasure and show grounds).  However if you go to NFU as a working tractor they will want something like £200.

That's a brilliant tip, thank you - I'm with Farmers & Mercantile and was simply going to add it to that, so yes please, if you could let me know who you use.  I need to get it registered to go on the road with DVLA as well, don't I?  Otherwise I won't be able to drive it between my two crofts and up to the common grazings.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 01:15:59 pm »
Yes, I suggest if it hasn't got a v5,  look to friends of Ferguson heritage.

I've never done it but I believe they will be able to help you register your tractor with an age related plate.  This is much better than a q plate which just doesn't look right and I would say ultimately devalues them.

See there web site..you might have to join the club for a year but it will be worth it.

One thing I noticed on your photos , you can't see its identification plate which is normally on the dash,  it could be it is obscured in the photo by the steering wheel,  it could be its been sprayed over when the tractor was re sprayed.......but if it isn't there I would be asking questions....there maybe a genuine explanation, but it might point to a questionable past.  Sounds like the bloke you are buying from is genuine though given the hydraulics thing.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 02:13:14 pm »
Thanks - I found the Ferguson site, and it's £20 to join for a year and £55 for the DVLA registration, but it seems they'll handle it all for you if you send the engine number etc.   :thumbsup:

All the tin got replaced rather than being resprayed and the ID plate was lost with it.  The guy who did the restoration has an excellent reputation in the area and I've been told he will always come and have a look at one he's done if there's ever a problem with it, which is also reassuring! 

I'm hoping I can get not just an age-related plate, but a local age-related plate - the local prefix was NS for North Sutherland, but suspect one may cost me more than the tractor!

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 02:25:04 pm »
Of course are you sure it isn't already registered ?  It unusual for them to get to 50 years or so old and never have been registered. 

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 02:43:00 pm »
I suppose it might - if I get the number off the engine, will DVLA be able to tell me?

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 05:09:25 pm »
Not sure...

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 07:15:28 pm »
Three NS plates available, starting price £2,600 - so yes, more than I'm paying for the tractor!  Fingers crossed it already has one assigned then.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 07:26:23 pm »
Are you sure that applies to agricultural machines ?

I understood they are non - transferable .

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 08:04:23 pm »
Of course are you sure it isn't already registered ?  It unusual for them to get to 50 years or so old and never have been registered.

my 1968 ford has never been registered, that said do a lot of research ,it may just pay off.
after owning the ford for 10 years I eventually met the man who sold it new . he lifted the bonnet flap and there covered in rust was the dealers plate !
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:08:03 pm by Rupert the bear »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS