Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The day has come  (Read 7580 times)

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
Re: The day has come
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 06:37:50 am »
Hi Egglady i fed my pigs as normal the day before, ok there evening meal was at 4 Oclock in the afternoon. not sure if i was right or wrong but am sure the abbatoir will tell me today. They also had two bags of apples, bunch of banana and some donuts as these were there favourites.

I have actually woken up this morning feeling ok about the whole exercise and now am really looking forward to seeing what amount and quality of pork they yield, as my friend said if we didnt eat pork/lamb/beef these animal would probably already be extinct!

Egglady i cam empathise with you today and am sure you will be quiet, not necessarily upset just quiet/reflecting  :pig: :wave:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 09:16:46 am »
they went in the tailer perfectly fine but refused to come out at the other end....so they ended up with some yummy chic chip cookies as their last meal!

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 09:39:53 am »
Never though of that one! our were bl**dy stubborn yesterday and needed lots of coaxing!!

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 09:53:53 am »
isnt it funny how we all learn so much from this forum?!  it's just great

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 10:32:25 am »
You are certainly right there, not just the practical elements of keeping elements but all of the emotional, financial etc and thanks to Wiz a common appreciation of Nigella Lawson!!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 10:54:04 am »
I cant stand Nigella lawson!! ::)
WP what time you picking up the pork?
Egglady, hope all goes well for you today!

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 11:02:57 am »
Nigella Lawson - Yum Yum ( And yes Mrs WP thinks i am extremely silly)

I finish work today at 1, so should be over there by 3Oclock. And WP junior is coming too!! bless her she is only 3 and i may risk a backlash but i thikn it is right she undertsands where all food comes from.

Yes Egglady hope you are not pondering/reflecting too much, coz i can promise you tomorrow you will be as excited as me  :wave: :pig: :o

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 12:39:01 pm »
I was quite quiet and a bit sad the day my first two went to meet their maker.  This did change to delight when I had my first pork chop from "Fat Frank" as he was known.

I feel for you to have seen the piglet go in though - I remember going to a meat market in an area of Spain famous for suckling pig and seeing mounds and mounds of little piggies stacked on top of each other ready for skewering!  Doesn't bear thinking about when you first get your weaners does it?  (However, suckling pig is favourite of mine - now I am torn...)

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 12:56:07 pm »
I must admit i am looking forward to picking them up today an having some pork chops this weekend

Yes it was little difficult seeing the little one, but its life i suppose! never tried suckling pig but am not adverse to anything so may well have a go next time i can fly to the sun!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 01:45:15 pm »
It's interesting Reading how you all feel. I had 2 gilts in feb but always intended to keep these 2 for breeding then keep some of theirs for fattening and sell the rest of the litter on hopefully. I've got really attached to kim and aggie so I'm wondering if I can be strong enough to fatten my own. I know it's about keeping the end game in mind but I'm sure it's still going to be tough for me this time next year..

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 07:12:32 am »
Helencus set some strategies in place now before the piglets are born.   Pamper the sows who will be with you for years.  Always look at the piglets from birth as meat.  (This from the woman who has a large black for a pet because as she was bottle feeding him his owner said he would be a spit roast in a few weeks time - motto never drink while bottle feeding a piglet!!!!!).  Look at the loins and see bacon, look at the legs and see hams.  If you start to weaken a quick trip to the abattoir to see the inhuman results of supermarket pork will soon make you feel easier!!!

WP and Greenerlife, why dont you grow your own suckling pigs, much much better reared than the poor little Spanish ones.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 08:11:32 am »
Thanks Hillarysmum Thats a good tip. I've never seen the abbatoir is it really a good idea to go and see what goes on first? Would it help then? I'd be worried it would totally put me off..

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 09:28:40 am »
Helencus - stangely i have not got attached at all to any of my pigs from day one their whole purpose was for us and all of kids to enjoy going and seeing some pigs, feeding them, going and give them the occasional scracth, laughing at them when they drag themselves out of the wallow and generally really enjoying the animals. but i NEVER detracted from the fact that they were for meat, and to be honest i am not a hard faced man and i had all of the same concerns as you are having, but as HM says if you look at them as pork from day one, you do tend to get your carnivores eyes on and look at the legs and imagine roast potatoes, apple sauce etc!

Go to the abattoir if you like but i very much doubt you will see anything, apart from a lot of animals being taken of trailers and walking into the holding pens, it is all very clean and business like and when we went was quite a nice atmosphere because of the amount of 'private kills' that were arriving everyone was excited about the final process, but a lot of pondering was also taking place.

The only down side to the abattoir was when the trailer with the commercial pigs turned up and the man was pushing, kicking the pigs down the ramp and they were slipping and sliding. so go witha n open mind coz that sight made me realise i will always now only eat pork i have reared and treated with respect.

Do it though, you will enjoy it so much

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 05:33:58 pm »
" commercial pigs turned up and the man was pushing, kicking the pigs down the ramp and they were slipping and sliding"

Exactly!!!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 10:06:37 pm »
Thanks I'm going to. I'm pretty sure I've reached the age when I can be objective and appreciate as a meat eater that an animal that's had a great life is better than one that's not. So this time next year watch this space 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS