Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: vaccinations for chicks?  (Read 4419 times)

blume

• Joined May 2010
vaccinations for chicks?
« on: June 02, 2010, 03:27:08 pm »
hello again, have got three bantam chicks (2 days old) and wondered what against and how to vaccinate them? is there anything else i'll have to do to keep them healthy? any advise will be welcome! thanks

joyofchicks

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: vaccinations for chicks?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 11:16:59 pm »
I asked my vet about vaccination last year after my broody hatched four chicks from hatching eggs I'd bought.  He laughed and told me they only came in batches of 1000.  I decided not to go any further as the chicks were not for sale but for me to increase my own small flock.  I'll be interested to hear how others have dealt with this issue.

bamford6

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 10:00:32 pm »
youre best bet is black rocks vaccination done £ 4 to £ 8 pound bird will live for 5 or six yeres

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 10:07:04 pm »
I asked my vet about vaccination last year after my broody hatched four chicks from hatching eggs I'd bought.  He laughed and told me they only came in batches of 1000.  I decided not to go any further as the chicks were not for sale but for me to increase my own small flock.  I'll be interested to hear how others have dealt with this issue.
did he mention the cost. if you have a few dozen then for the most common desises they are not expensive. i was looking last year so i can't remember the cost but i think it was about £15 per vaccine. you do have a lot of waste.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 07:53:59 am »
Apologies for harping on but.......when i went on the River Cottage Chicken Keeping Course  ;) someone asked about vaccinations.

The consensus was that if you have a small 'backyard' concern, then vaccinations shouldn't be necessary. Vaccinations are given to large flocks due to the close proximity that they live in, because any bugs could spread like wildfire. If you have good husbandry, worm regularly, you should be fine.

As previously mentioned, the vaccinations come in huge packs and you'll waste so much! In fact someone on the course took her 3 chickens to the vet to be vaccinated and he laughed at her too!  Were you on the course joyofchicks? ;D

joyofchicks

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 07:42:51 pm »
No, SharonP, not guilty!  I was just at the vet with the dog and asked the question.  Too far away from River Cottage in NE Scotland and with a vet more used to farmers and small domestic pets than backyard flock owners.  The word from your chicken keeping course is reassuring for those of us who want to do the right thing by our hens, though.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 08:32:10 am »
I've had the same advice and have never vaccinated. So far we've not had any significant problems with mortality.

There should be an icon for "fingers crossed" or "touch wood".  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS