Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lots of sheepy questions!  (Read 10674 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Lots of sheepy questions!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 02:57:36 pm »
They must be very little chops!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 10:39:36 pm »
Do you get them chopped up or just spit roast them?  What would be a typical dead weight?  Our abattoir is not keen on doing Soays as they are small - how does yours cope?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 06:06:57 am »
I get my local master butcher who lives on the other side of the hill to the sheep paddock to do them for me. Not a problem. Its legal for home consumption. Its done on site and according to humane society guidelines. not yet spit roasted one the meat is very lean and I'm not convinced it wouldn't go a bit dry. chops are fine I tend to get a rack  rather than individually cut. a leg works out about a kilo ( the larger ones tend to go for meat) I weigh all the joints but haven't totalled them up must do so next time. 

Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 12:31:40 pm »
i maybe wrong i often am. but if you get a slaughterman in then you can't eat it. even if you killed it then only you are ment to eat it. yes i know thats stupid but im sure thats the rule.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 02:50:18 pm »
I'm in France ;) If truth be told a friend holds and fires the captive bolt gun not because I don't want to do the act but because the noise makes me jump a mile everytime.The butcher cuts the throat if left to the butcher he doesn't use a stun gun but prefers a large mallet this I find a little too hit and miss :-\ I would never cut the throat as I don't believe in mucking up the job it is done with extreme speed and precision and I am present everytime, they have their head in a bucket munching their fav sheep pellets. If on the other hand I had backed out and felt for whatever reason that I couldn't have gone through with it it would have been the last piece of meat I bought if you aren't capable of having your own sheep slaughtered  then buying it off the shelf is hypocrisy. just my opinion
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:52:46 pm by kanisha »
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 02:59:32 pm »
agreed. the mallet is just a lttle to oldie worldie for me. i think he would be hung over here. its funny how one country understands the rules in a diffrent way.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS