Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My Mum's Potato salad  (Read 8201 times)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: My Mum's Potato salad
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 08:59:07 am »
Ina, grow nastursiums (can't speel it!) and pickle the seeds whilst still green, they make a fair substitute for capers.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 08:00:48 pm »
Tesco had some jars of gherkins at 50p a few weeks back. Lidl is probably a better bet for dill-pickled ones and their large jars work out reasonably priced.. as do their capers.
I'm inherently cautious about money - nearest lidl is an hour away so i only do a run every 6-8 weeks or so and bulk buy targetted stuff - whole salami (one lasts me 10-14 days as my main and limited meat source) some bars of chocolate - not that I eat much sweet stuff so a bar lasts me over a week. Spread, a treat of gorgonzola - theirs is really good. Cheap packs of flavoured noodles for a lazy quick snack, some frozen chicken curries £1.19 for a lazy dinner. Their muesli with my added stewed fruit is another good buy and soem dried fruits and nuts. Veggies and fruit i grow silly amounts of and there's always eggs.
No TV licence and no mobile phone (no signal anyway). And then i go and splurge my savings on toyss i really want.. and can spend months working out the best deal.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2016, 10:00:58 pm »
Considering you are serving it with Schweineschnitzel - can I assume you have a Germanic background? We always had capers, gherkins and mayo in our tattie salad, too - and apple!

Yes same here, but no capers. Don't like them. Yes to apple though, and my mum makes the mayonnaise a bit runnier with the gherkin liquid. And we have ours either with Frankfurters (which are called Wiener sausages where I come from) or with meatballs (hald and half mince - pork and beef). Or whatever was on the BBQ....

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 09:57:46 pm »
I've grown two knobbly gherking plants again this year . We've had a couple of dozen five inch long x 2 inch diameter fruits .......... They have been watered with a pint of home made compost tea , given once a week  .  Are they cheap enough ?

Would you like four or five seeds for next year ?
 If so PM me your full name & address etc inc post code .
Dave
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS