Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My Mum's Potato salad  (Read 8202 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
My Mum's Potato salad
« on: August 22, 2016, 06:48:14 pm »
OK that doesn't sound exciting but read on.. and it's simple as all my stuff is:
I made a batch today. 1kg new potatoes.. any waxy boiling spud will do.. dice it up smallish before cooking - easier than after and boils fast. Dice up a couple of carrots and cook them with the spuds.
Once cooked and cooled add the following ...or anything else you fancy; a couple of large fleshy toms (I used plum ones) again diced as all ingedients are. A couple of chunks of cucumber. An onion ..or i used a dozen spring onions from the greenhouse. Then the important 2 additions... a goodly tablespoon of capers and 3 or 4 dill pickled gherkins (again diced small). Several large tablespoos of mayonnaise to get everything mixed up and coated. Best served chilled from the fridge and keeps a few days. Yes you can add peppers, peas, beans if you want but you might need more gherkin to keep that fresh slight tang.

The classic way of serving is with a schweineschnitzel : hammered out pork steak fried in breadcrumbs plus some french beans (pickled in the winter).

Tonight I'm having mine with some string beans and cold boiled eggs

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: My Mum's Potato salad
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 09:06:53 am »
The spuds and carrots are boiling as I type!

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 09:23:33 am »
Thats tea sorted????

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 09:46:10 am »
It does sound scrummy, especially without the carrots - but you've forgotten the chopped chives!!  You can't have potato salad without herbs  :o   :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 11:16:38 am »
It does sound scrummy, especially without the carrots - but you've forgotten the chopped chives!!  You can't have potato salad without herbs  :o   :yum:

spring onion.... but add what you want.
(back when i was a teen and rowing for my school.. away regattas and the rest of the crew had sarnies.. I always had a tuperware full of potato salad with two schnitzels on top....)

I'm just stewing down some damsons to have with ice-cream for elevenses. Later it's a first batch of early apple for the freezer

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 03:06:27 pm »
Considering you are serving it with Schweineschnitzel - can I assume you have a Germanic background? We always had capers, gherkins and mayo in our tattie salad, too - and apple!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 04:26:19 pm »
Considering you are serving it with Schweineschnitzel - can I assume you have a Germanic background? We always had capers, gherkins and mayo in our tattie salad, too - and apple!

Czech parents.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 07:29:50 am »

Czech parents.

Ah - I was just wondering because you were using the German word...  :)

We used to serve it mostly with Frankfurters. And that, btw, was our traditional meal on Christmas eve!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 08:23:48 am »
Also our christmas eve staple.. but had to be with fish. Classically would have been fried carp but that wasn't an easy find UK when i was a kiddie... so usually fish fingers.
http://www.prague.net/blog/category/czech-traditions/?pg=2

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 10:37:26 am »
Also our christmas eve staple.. but had to be with fish. Classically would have been fried carp but that wasn't an easy find UK when i was a kiddie... so usually fish fingers.
http://www.prague.net/blog/category/czech-traditions/?pg=2

Isn't it funny? We had it with herring on New Years Eve!  :D I suppose richer people had carp.

I love comparing traditions between countries and cultures... More in common than different, I often find.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 08:22:45 am »
I add a dollop of horseradish to mine.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 08:34:47 am »
I add a dollop of horseradish to mine.

For me, horseradish always goes with beetroot - and that's nice in potato salad, too.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 03:33:59 pm »
At the risk of being banned from the forum can I suggest a "fauxtato salad"  :eyelashes:

Steam a head of cauliflower so it is still quite firm but cooked, then put into cold water to chill. While it is chilling, in a bowl, combine a dollop of Dijon mustard, 5 or 6  dollops of mayonnaise, a finely chopped red onion and 3-4 large dill pickles, also finely chopped, and then refrigerate the mix.
Boil 3 or 4 large eggs until hard boiled and grill 3 or 4 rashers of bacon until crispy before dicing into small pieces (I cheat and just crisp up half a packet of lardons)
Discard the cauliflower stalks and hand crumble the head into small pieces (think big breadcrumbs) and then fold into the mayo mix along with the bacon. Quarter up the eggs, gently combine and back in the fridge for a bit. Really tasty and low carb :)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 05:34:52 pm »
I would call that a cauliflower salad...  :D

Yes, does sound nice - and I do like low carb, but my version is more affordable, and that's what counts these days, if you are on a very low income. Actually, I haven't had even gherkins let alone capers in anything for a while, simply because it's unnecessary expenditure.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 07:12:55 pm »
Actually, I haven't had even gherkins let alone capers in anything for a while, simply because it's unnecessary expenditure.

We have a large polish community here so jars of gherkins aren't at all expensive. Didn't think they'd cost more elsewhere - good point!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS