Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dagging - how do you do it?  (Read 10277 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Dagging - how do you do it?
« on: August 22, 2016, 12:34:12 pm »

We gave all our sheep a decent once-over yesterday, and dagged the ones with mucky bums. However, I had a hell of a job stopping the sheep from running off whilst I did it.  I had some success standing backwards astride their necks and bending over, but inevitably they soon got bored and ran off, with predictable consequences  ;D.

So am I missing a trick?  Is there an easy way to dag single handed, or do I need to invest in a docking crate or head restraint gate?

(BTW [member=13]Rosemary[/member] - I notice you used to have a crate, but sold it. Any thoughts?)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Dagging - how do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 12:41:26 pm »
Still got the crate [member=2128]Womble[/member] and I do use it. That extra 18" off the ground makes a huge difference  ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 12:44:38 pm »
Haltered to  a hurdle, or better into a right-angle corner, then either astride backwards, or pushed against hurdle and then turn into other direction, as easier to do one side at the time that way. Difficult to explain. Doesn't guarantee that they are standing still, but at least they cannot run off....

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 01:28:07 pm »
Hmmm, I haven't tried tying a halter up ever since a bad experience once with one of the Manxes who went totally nuts and nearly strangled herself. Maybe I should give it another go now we have Zwartbles.

I was thinking about a turnover crate for holding them steady, but the more I think about it, I don't actually need the turnover bit, since if they're restrained,  I could check feet as you would do a horse. I wonder if this could also be combined with a small footbath?  :thinking:

The options seem to be the Modulamb one (£650+VAT), which puts the sheep at a comfortable working height, as Rosemary says:

Or the IAE version, which can either be ground level (£650+VAT), or on a stand (£1400+VAT  :o)

Any thoughts or experience folks?  :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 01:28:40 pm »
The 'shove their heads in a corner and straddle' method works well, but you have to stand on your head to reach right underneath and there are some rather delicate bits under there.  So we also sit them on their bums to do those hard to reach bits - inside of tail, between the legs, round the penis.  It can be combined with checking feet are ok.  We just try to avoid being seen by the city dwellers out for a lovely day in the countryside who will be puzzled as to exactly what we are up to  :o
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 01:35:17 pm »
We put ours in a neck noose tied to a fence. We use plaited bailers twine but you could use an old pair of tights or something similar.

I believe I read in Tim Tynes book he was using a fan belt.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 01:49:46 pm »
OK, so I've been doing a reverse cowboy  ;), you use bailer twine but maybe old tights, Rosemary uses a head restraint, and Tim an old fan belt......

We just try to avoid being seen by the city dwellers out for a lovely day in the countryside who will be puzzled as to exactly what we are up to  :o

No bloody wonder!  :roflanim:

Cuddles

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 02:54:09 pm »
This was the wrong thread to check when I was stuck in a boring meeting!  A half stiffled snigger was quickly followed by some very dirty looks!   :roflanim:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 03:11:48 pm »
Reverse straddle, or tip them up, or pin them down on their side (with a knee/sit over them).
Or, better still, cull anything you have to dag .... I've only had to dag one lamb in two years :)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 03:59:09 pm »
Useful tips (excuse pun) when needed. However since I live in a well populated part of the world I am changing the to-it-alone habit of a life time and asking for help. Had a lovely afternoon hoof trimming goats last week followed by tea and biscuits having asked a couple of local ladies if they would like to get involved. I have finally appreciated that I am not the only one mad enough to study sheeps bottoms for muck and other people relish the opportunity.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 04:24:15 pm »
tip them up, or pin them down on their side (with a knee/sit over them).

No, that's what they do to me at the moment! ;D

Or, better still, cull anything you have to dag .... I've only had to dag one lamb in two years :)

FECs came back low, so I think it's just a surplus of lush wet grass that's been the problem. There was only one with actual dangly bits, the rest just got a tidy up of any mucky bits to stop them from getting worse.

P.S. Have you heard the Australian phrase "Rattle your dags", as in "get a move on!".  I'm now managing to regularly work it into normal conversation, much to Mrs Womble's disgust  ;D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 04:26:17 pm by Womble »

Cuddles

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 04:41:38 pm »
P.S. Have you heard the Australian phrase "Rattle your dags", as in "get a move on!".  I'm now managing to regularly work it into normal conversation, much to Mrs Womble's disgust 

... follow up boring meeting tomorrow... challenge accepted!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 05:17:05 pm »
P.S. Have you heard the Australian phrase "Rattle your dags", as in "get a move on!".  I'm now managing to regularly work it into normal conversation, much to Mrs Womble's disgust 

... follow up boring meeting tomorrow... challenge accepted!

Cuddle, can't wait to hear how you weave that one into the conversation at your meeting
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 07:00:17 pm »
Have the MODULAMB crate , preferred it to IAE as the sheep can be tilted to make it 20" above the ground and swung out to allow you to work without catching your head on anything , good for ear tagging or worming /treatments .     But it needs 2 people to move it unless you can leave it in a race permanently

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 07:13:50 pm »
Superb, thanks Shep. If I can find one second hand, it might be a goer.  Can I ask a few questions please?

• Can you easily access all four hooves for inspection / trimming?
  • Do the sheep mind going up the ramp, and does it have to be mounted in a race to work properly?
  • Do they just jump out at the far end, without a down-ramp?
  • Is it definitely ok for all sizes of sheep? (we have Zwartbles, and I don't think a tup would fit in a standard turnover crate for instance.
  • Do you think I could fit a shallow footbath tray in, or would that stop either the front or rear gates from working properly?
Thankyou!  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS