Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How many?!  (Read 1964 times)

Khlci

• Joined Sep 2016
How many?!
« on: September 01, 2016, 08:18:35 pm »
 :wave:  I'm new to all of this! But we have 12 acres and have been looking into keeping sheep/goats. If we were to just have sheep, how many would you fit comfortably on 12 acres? Would we also need any out buildings etc?  :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: How many?!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 09:32:53 am »
If you have no other place to take sheep who need treatment, and/or if you plan on breeding your sheep, then you would find a shelter of some sort useful, yes.

The usual rule of thumb is 5 commercial-size sheep or 7 primitives per acre, but it depends on the ground.  Very wet ground, very cold or exposed ground, would be less.  Very lush ground in a warmer part of the country might do more.

You also need to think about where you will get their winter forage.  If you need to make hay for them off this same ground, then you will need to shut part of it up for some months for the grass to grow and be cut and baled.  And you'll need somewhere to store the hay, too, of course.

If you are planning to breed, then you also have to think about followers.  If you choose sheep which fatten in one summer, then by the end of the summer you will have very nearly 3 times as many sheep as you started with, and then back to your starting number as you send that year's lambs away.  If you choose a breed which needs two summers to grow, then in the second summer you will have nearly 3 times as many sheep as you started with at the beginning of the summer, and all that year's lambs growing on through the summer.  It adds up really quickly!  :o
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 10:17:20 am »
Wise advice from Sally. As an example, I bought 3 in lamb ewes and 2 ewe lambs 2 years ago. April 2015 that became 9 sheep. A couple stayed, 2 went for meat. Last year all 5 original sheep were put in lamb. I sold 5 and bought 4 to upgrade stock so I now have 16. I aim to max at about 20 to 25 on around 5 acres. I had experience but had not had full responsibility for sheep so the slow build up has suited me. A decent sized shed and some handling facilities (even if just a good set of hurdles) is very helpful.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 10:30:07 am »
Great advice, Sally. I'm a long way off getting my first sheep but good to start learning it all now. :D

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 10:35:30 am »
The other thing to bare in mind is rotating your pasture- if you keep your 12 acres fully stocked at 5 sheep per acre, there will be no room to rotate and thus worms will build up and make it very sheep sick, then you'll have issues. Ideally you don't want to turn out newborn lambs onto the same pasture every year.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 03:37:29 pm »
You need to work out your livestock units.  See Tim Tyne's Sheep book for more info.

I work on the basis of 0.2 LSU per acre in winter and 0.4 LSU per acre in summer, which for me equates to approx 3 ewes+twins per acre in summer and 3 ewes per acre in winter (no lambs).  But it will depend on your land, and your sheep.  I'm recently moved to much rougher grazing and so will be dropping that, especially in winter.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 05:18:13 pm »
See Tim Tyne's Sheep book for more info.

See Tim Tyne's book, read it several times and make notes!  The more groundwork you can do the better shepherd you will be and the healthier and happier your sheep will be.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS