Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When is old old in small dogs.  (Read 1621 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
When is old old in small dogs.
« on: August 17, 2016, 08:02:00 pm »
My Jack Russell Jake will be 14 in January. He eats well and still runs around with the other dogs a lot. Just lately he seems to forget he has been fed. We feed our dogs morning and evening yet within half an hours after being fed Jake is back in the kitchen staring at his food bowl. He also has started wanting out at all hours. If I get up during the night he wants out but seems to be confused if it is dark. he will always have a pee as the other two do but I don't think he is desperate. I would take him to the vet but I sound a bit silly. I just feel something is not quite right. Could he be getting dementia.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: When is old old in small dogs.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 08:16:01 pm »
Yes is the short answer to that.  The more unlikely answer is a brain tumour.  And although he seems perfectly healthy i'm sure your vet, if he is a good one, will check him over and advise you either way.
If he was mine I'd wait a week and in that time take a diary of what he does that is different from what he used to do.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 08:43:47 pm »
As above, with this type of symptoms there could easily be a bit of dementia or something going on in the brain, or liver/kidneys could be deteriorating and toxins could be building. A diary is perfect to see exactly what he is doing and how often.
There are medications that can help with dementia, or natural based supplements that can support brain function with omega 3/6 balance, antioxidants and the like.
If you think his quality of life is fine, then monitoring and keeping a diary is the first step, if you worry he is getting distressed by not quite knowing what is going on, a vet visit may be in order. The vet certainly should always listen to your concerns and offer testing such as bloods, neurological examination and/or treatments as required.
Don't feel silly, owners always know their pets better than the vet can, so any change is worth looking into.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 09:52:58 pm »
No advice other than go with your gut instincts - vets will never think you're silly.  Often your feelings will be the only clue to something being wrong.  Good luck xx

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS