Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: geese and hens and ducks and turkeys  (Read 3486 times)

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
geese and hens and ducks and turkeys
« on: May 18, 2010, 11:57:40 am »
Our hens and ducks are TOTALLY free range and can roam anywhere they wish on the farm.  Am quite interested in getting some geese.  How will they get along with the hens and ducks?  Or are they more likely to keep themselves to themselves?!  My ducks actually sleep in with the hens at night in our large henhouse but am thinking geese would need their own housing?!  Quite interested in the idea of a couple of turkeys too?  Anybody have any experience of keeping this kinda mix?!!  Thank you  ;)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: geese and hens and ducks and turkeys
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:01:42 pm »
I have geese, ducks and hens and they all live in harmony. At one stage I used to let the geese sleep with the ducks at night but during the breeding season they became quite vicious and so for safety we now lock them up separately. I can see you having no problems with introducing the geese. I have 17 ducks, 10 hens, 1 cockerel and 5 geese and they are all totally free range too.

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:07:09 pm »
James, thanks for the speedy reply! It's Lisa on the west here!! My ducks are the wee lovelies that came all the way from your place!! We have our own incubator now and Jack is currently incubating a dozen eggs - two slightly more unusual breeds! They are due to hatch next week so we are very excited!! Just wondering what we will hatch next?!?  Geese? More ducks? I really fancy a few quail but am having trouble trying to locate a breeder?  Might have to hatch them ourselves..although I would have preferred to have just bought them as young birds! Anyway, it keeps us all busy!  :wave:

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 12:08:45 pm »
Hi Lisa, gosh you are branching out  :) When you have an incubator I guess you can hatch whatever you like. Good luck, any joy with the goats yet? :)

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 12:17:22 pm »
Oh..yes..Jack's got that one sorted out! We are heading to Aberdeenshire next month and we will become goat owners!!  Will let Jack tell you more himself because he was just saying to me that he was going to email you to let you know!!   :goat:  :)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 12:23:14 pm »
That's good, I look forward to Jack's e mail. :)

Dee

• Joined May 2009
  • Llanfair Caereinion
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 04:59:31 pm »
Our hens and ducks are TOTALLY free range and can roam anywhere they wish on the farm.  Am quite interested in getting some geese.  How will they get along with the hens and ducks?  Or are they more likely to keep themselves to themselves?!  My ducks actually sleep in with the hens at night in our large henhouse but am thinking geese would need their own housing?!  Quite interested in the idea of a couple of turkeys too?  Anybody have any experience of keeping this kinda mix?!!  Thank you  ;)

I have all the above and the geese are the most aggressive if their "space" is invaded :). As for turkeys you have to keep them seperate from chickens as Blackhead disease can and will kill turkeys. I kept my turkeys in a large area that the chickens could not access. :farmer:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 05:16:43 pm »
Only if you fail to worm them.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 05:20:44 pm »
I agree with DEE. Turkeys do need their own field away from hens. Blackhead is a killer, hens are more resistant to it but Turkeys are more prone. My geese live in the same field as the ducks , it is 35 acres with a burn running through it. The ducks and geese do not fight but they keep their distance with the geese being more territorial at breeding time.The hens are in a five acre field all to themselves. To me it is better to keep the peace and let them have their own space and territory. My ducks and hens lived in the same hut for a few years but the mess was unbelievable and the ducks had their fair share of food first! Turkeys can be very aggressive even with each other. I would think you would need NATO if they were all kept together at breeding time!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS