Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preparing to spin  (Read 8298 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Preparing to spin
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 09:44:00 am »
It looks as if there's an old 'rise' partway up the staple.  For the ping test, or twang test or whatever you name it, take out a small bundle of fibres, hold each end in opposite hands then pull apart sharply close to your ear.   If you just get a soggy sound then there is a break, if it makes a firmer sound then it might well be strong enough to spin the whole lot.

I would though cut out the matted, felty bit and only use that scrummy looking clean bit  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 09:51:51 am »
Thanks, Juliet - I was going to come back and explain the ping test, but you beat me to it.

The cleaner part of the staple looks good from the pic.  Very Chevioty :). I like Cheviot, it's a very well-behaved fibre, and takes dye well.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 09:56:02 am »
Now I am released from only spinning fibre from my own sheep, I just might buy a sneaky Cheviot fleece  :eyelashes:  It is after all a breed fairly local to me..........should be easy enough to find a breeder with good quality fleece  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 10:07:06 am »
Now I am released from only spinning fibre from my own sheep, I just might buy a sneaky Cheviot fleece  :eyelashes:  It is after all a breed fairly local to me..........should be easy enough to find a breeder with good quality fleece  :thumbsup:

[member=28984]mowhaugh[/member] has some black NCCs, some of whom have delicious fleece.  We span some last year for the Tour of British Fleece; one of our very experienced spinners described it as being 'like spinning kittens'.  You might have to be quick, though, I think either Edinburgh or Dumfries Guild go and buy her whole clip now ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 10:09:07 am »
Oh, and we've had some superb Cheviot from the BWMB depot at Galashiels.  I'm not sure if they let you just rock up and rummage, though; we've always done it as part of an organised tour, when they are very happy to let spinners rummage and shop at the end.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 11:24:44 am »
Well, not that I've got anything to compare it with, but it doesn't sound soggy.  I shall give it a go later  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 11:49:24 am »
If healthy it should sound almost like a twang.  Sometimes a sad lock makes a sound a bit like rustling a crisp packet  :'(

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 11:50:25 am »
Okay, so you all knew I wouldn't be able to wait until this evening before trying it, didn't you??  First ever go at drop spinning (aren't YouTube tutorials a wonderful invention??).

How do you stop it untwisting when you eventually take it off the spindle though?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 11:53:50 am »
That's brilliant for a first attmept!

Are you planning to make a two-ply, balanced yarn with it?  Or are you wanting to use it as a single?  If the former, once you've got it plied, it won't unravel because it will be balanced.  If you want to keep it as a single, either leave it as a a cop until the energy leaves it (about a week should do it), or skein it straight away and wash it to set the twist.  In either case, I put a half-hitch in the end of the yarn, which keeps the end tidy.  Or some people use a bit of sellotape.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 12:36:26 pm »
It's got serious lumps in it further up, I picked the most even bit  ;)  No other intention than teaching myself the basic technique, so I guess I'll keep it as a single.  I've got the free end jammed under the stapler on my desk at the moment!  Daft question alert, can I take it off the spindle for the 'leave it for a week' option?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2016, 02:47:03 pm »
If you get a Turkish spindle, it magically makes a centre pull ball as you spin and wind it on.  To unload it you can pull out the spindle stick bit, then pull one arm out from the other and hey wow - you've got a ball of yarn.  I mostly only use a Turkish spindle now as they are so convenient.  Also there are some beautiful examples out there, all weights and a whole variety of woods.  (I wouldn't buy an Ashford one though as they are too heavy and clumsy.

From an ordinary drop or top whorl spindle, you can unload your spun yarn by winding it into a ball by hand.  If you're good with your toes you can hold the spindle steady with your feet as you unwind.

I'm most impressed with your sample - you're clearly gifted  :trophy:

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 03:35:28 pm »
Thanks, I'll give it a try later  :thumbsup:

At the risk of sounding a *total* dippy hippy, there's a small possibility it may be some kind of past life memory/access of the Akashic records (pick your theory of choice!).  I remember reading a description of someone using a drop spindle in a history lesson at school when I was about 8 or 9 and wondering how I knew what it was going to say.  When I tried spinning for the first time ever with a wheel a few years ago it was a total disaster, but when I was following the YouTube tutorials earlier with the spindle, I was sitting with it thinking, 'Hang on, no, I don't do it like that, I do it like this,' and it felt like something I hadn't done for a long time rather than something I'd never done before, if that makes sense.  Weird  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2016, 03:41:20 pm »
I was surprised that I took to spinning and weaving so strongly.  And then my father told me we had weavers in our ancestry,

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 08:51:00 pm »
Before the invention of the spinning wheel, just about everyone used to spindle spin, going back for centuries, millennia even, so it's likely we all have some kind of racial memory of that.  It's like growing plants and food - second nature.  I don't think you need any other-worldly influences, just racial memory and nimble fingers.  Also, spinning is pretty obvious once you've spent 3 minutes thinking about it.  What I find puzzling is how anyone invented how to process nettles, flax and other vegetable fibres for clothing and mats - there's nothing intuitive about that that I can see  ???

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2016, 10:26:59 am »
Need to find somewhere other than the office floor to keep the steadily-growing pile of washed fleece!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS