Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preparing to spin  (Read 8292 times)

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
Preparing to spin
« on: August 12, 2016, 07:23:23 am »
Thanks to eBay getting a bit over-generous with free £10 vouchers recently, I now have a free drop spindle and a couple of dog brushes to use as carders on their way  :thumbsup:

Since rainwater is not something I'm short of at the moment  ::) and we're due a warm week, I thought I'd try the fermented suint method.  Once my fleece has gone through that, do I need to card it, or does it just get spun once it's dried?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Preparing to spin
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 01:09:17 pm »
Depends on the fleece.  Some will spin straight from the lock.  Some benefits from carding, some is too long to card.  What fleece do you have?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 01:37:16 pm »
3 x North Country Cheviot, none of which had been shorn for about three years, so it's long and I think quite matted in places.  I need to sort through the bags and separate out the stuff that looks potentially usable. 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 03:37:30 pm »
If the staple is very long you can cut it in half.  I'm not sure if the NCC fleece is the same as primitives, but if it is then you might find that only the inner one third, ie this past year's growth, is useable.  If that is the case, then just cut off the outer lengths or pull them apart.

When you are learning to spin, it's best to have well prepared fleece, especially using a spindle.  Using poor quality or poorly prepped fleece means you are battling the fibre at the same time as learning to spin.  When I first started to spin aeons ago, I bought in some Blue Faced Leicester top, which needed no further prep, and I learnt the technique quickly.  That might be worth a try, just to get you started, then advance onto your own fleece once you have some idea of what you are doing.
A tip for spindling is to draw out the fibre to almost the thickness you want for spinning it, before you actually start spinning.  The length can be wrapped into a loose 'nest' and either wrapped around your wrist or set in a bowl at your feet.

Have fun  :spin: :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 12:17:25 pm »
I finally had 20 minutes to get the bags out of the shed this morning and it's not nearly as matted as I remembered, so I've been sorting through it and four net laundry bags'-worth is now soaking in a plastic tub with the lid on - that's just under half of one sack, another two and a half to go!

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 08:08:59 am »
Fleecewife gives some excellent advice and its certainly worth using prepared tops to get started. Having said that, although I used tops to get the hang of the spinning technique I found it a lot easier and more enjoyable when I started on my own fleece. Possibly because it tends to have a bit more texture to is as some of the lanolin stays in.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 09:39:38 am »
As with almost everything in spinning, different people have different experiences and preferences.

Personally I found it easier to start with tops, split lengthways to about a pencil's width.  Once I'd mastered drafting then I was able to get on with other preparations.

There are certain types of tops which are better and some which are much more difficult, however.  Most people who like tops at all agree that Shetland, Blue-faced Leicester and English 56s are all pretty manageable, and Merino is generally not.  Camelids also are not as easy for beginners. A personal favourite - then and now - is Corriedale, but not everyone agrees with me on that. And, of course, some people learned with merino and don't see what all the fuss is about.

I've seen me fail to get a newbie started with Shetland tops, and a more experienced teacher get that person going with 'spinning from the fold' using those same tops.  At that time I still hasn't mastered spinning from the fold, and I still don't really like it now!

Nicely made rolags are great, of course, provided they are very light ones - but being able to create light, fluffy rolags with no neps is a skill it takes most of us some time to develop, so rolags isn't always them best option for a beginner.  Some people, of course, started that way and have never looked back.

Fauxlags made from tops are a good prep for a beginner, and don't need you to have developed carding skills, nor to take on managing raw - or washed - fleece.

The rovings I've had from Griffiths Mill would be ideal for a beginner, I'd say.  And I've had equally beautiful ones made by the Natural Fibre Company.  But I didn't try rovings when I was starting, so it may be that the drafting I now find so easy and pleasurable would not have been so easy to master at the outset.

I do agree about a little bit of lanolin helping to 'keep it all together' when drafting.  Tops made from fibre which has a little bit more 'grab' can help in this regard - I found Shetland and Manx to both be good in this respect.   (But Jamieson & Smith's Shetland Superfine might not be quite so grabby ;)).  Cheviot would be a good one, too.  And, as I said above, merino and camelid tops are both very slippery, and can therefore be a challenge. 

Longer fibres are a real challenge to a beginner, so avoid longwools like Wensleydale and Teeswater, Lincoln Longwool and so on until you've got the hang of drafting.  Blue-faced Leicester (BFL) is a Longwool too, of course, but in general the BFL tops are quite manageable.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 03:22:01 pm »
Since it's my birthday today, I decided that my birthday treat was going to be to get covered in stinky sheep water  :yuck: ;D

Raw fleece a week ago:

Ready to go in (bags stuffed to the max to get as much suint/lanolin into the water as possible):

6 days later the water looks like this and is pretty ripe:

Fleece looks like this:

One of the small bags drying in a makeshift dustsheet hammock on the washing line - too windy to spread it out on a mesh!:

I think some of this batch may have to go through again, as there was just too much in the bags, but hopefully I've got it started off now.  I've refilled the bag I emptied with less fleece and put it back in, and will have a look at it on Wednesday or Thursday.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 04:02:45 pm »
Happy birthday. The fleece is looking good so enjoy the spinning.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 06:58:23 pm »
Happy birthday - and great choice of birthday activity :)

What sort of fleeces are they?

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 07:25:18 pm »
North Country Cheviots that hadn't been sheared for about 3 years.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 07:42:07 pm »
Cheviot - good :thumbsup:

3 years' fleece - not so good :(  Are there two breaks, one for each year?

I'm sure you'll manage to get usable fibre from them - at worst, breaking the locks at the breaks and then carding.  I've had fleece with a break half way along the staple before now, and that worked fine.  In fact, I did some of it drumcarded without manually breaking it into two at the break, and that was fine too.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 08:52:00 pm »
It's been holding together when I've been pulling the fleeces apart to bag up and remove muck and gorse.  We've had a few pretty cool summers in a row, so not sure how much of a break there'd be.  I'll investigate more closely in the morning  :)

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 09:37:43 am »
Hand included for scale!

What do you think?  Ditch that top bit that's discoloured and a bit matted and try spinning with the rest?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 09:39:01 am »
What happens with the ping test?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS