Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A bit of a shock  (Read 3821 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: A bit of a shock
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 01:09:42 pm »
Horses will sometimes nibble the edges of very young ragwort plants-especially if there isn't a lot of grass about. Pulling it has and can often result in more plants a couple of years down the line as a new plant will grow from any root fragments left in the soil-and not even a rag fork will get all of it. It is easily to pull it out more effectively with larger, more mature plants though. The liver poisoning from ragwort is not reversible and cumulative so should be taken seriously.

If you need to graze the horses in there over winter I would hand pull with forks and then get some sheep in to eat the young plants next spring. afaik ragwort is toxic to all but I expect ruminants are possibly less susceptible and don't generally live as long/not as expensively managed as a horse with impaired liver function for the rest of its life.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 01:21:20 pm by lord flynn »

Tattymacintosh

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 08:17:04 pm »
Thanks so much for all input I really do appreciate it. Does anyone know a good contractor (Cupar area) that would come and top and spray the 4 acres? I've decided to obliterate the field this year then watch and pull the ragwort next spring when we have moved in. Then when I'm happy with it I'll bring the horses.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 09:30:08 pm »
I can't recommend a contractor, but if you don't get it down before winter I know a flock of Shetland sheep (in Fife) who would soon clear the long grass over winter, they have been tested on ragwort before and they will only eat it when it's very young or the only thing left in the field...
They do like docks and nettles though which has proved handy.

Good luck.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 09:50:24 pm »
I have just pulled up some ragwort in the verge next to one of my fields. There are a couple of stray sheep continually grazing in the verge. They have eaten the tops off some of the plants and really eaten off some of the others.

Last year I took a field that has always had a lot of ragwort in it despite being pulled each year by the horse owner who had it before. Last year I pulled up quite about four empty shaving bags of plants which were mostly concentrated in two areas that used to be an old railway line. Since having the sheep in there this year I have pulled up only a few plants.

At home our ground was mostly used for horses and despite pulling ragwort it was getting worse each year. Last year I sprayed and have run with sheep and this year it is much improved.

Tattymacintosh

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 11:25:51 pm »
Bloomer we conclude in November if this would be an ok time for the flock to move in I would gladly have visitors for the winter. I'd rather the grass was eaten than wasted. Pm me :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS