Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What fencing do you use for your pigs?  (Read 6915 times)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
Re: What fencing do you use for your pigs?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 12:09:05 pm »
Stock fencing down the permanent sides of their enlcosures, which has a single strand at the bottom then three strands for the different paddocks which are rotated to give them a rest.  I do use permament posts with insulators on to enable me to get the electrical tape massively taught on the temporary paddocks - stops the little (2 x one year old GOS Sows) blighters from escaping and the kune kune getting in!

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 10:18:05 pm »
we have three british saddleback pigs for the last six months and we have used the electric strip
fencing.
in those six months only one of our pigs has managed to get out three times, not to far either.
i think that is pretty impressive as i wanted the more expensive at the beginning but my wife kept
reminding me of our budget! ( where would we be without you!)
you have your plastic post for putting in the ground, you have your battery to run it and
you have your three strips of electric bands.
we got it on molevalley.com
i have to say as said in the beginning i was very doutfull, but would recommend it.
good luck with what ever you choose.
langdon :pig:

Our relationship works in the exact opposite way tyhat yours does! I think I'm going to be overruled and that we'll be trying to electric fencing only to start. On the plus side, the type of pigs we are going to have are known for being fairly liad back so fingers crossed! I'm sure we'll learn any lessons which need to be learnt the hard way!!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 01:47:15 pm »
Electric fencing only.  One strand at about5 inches - top one high enough to catch humans only ocasionally straddling the enclosure to feed the pigs!  :o  Never had an escapee (so far...) although my Berkshires don't seem to learn that if they charge towards me they have to stop at the green stripe!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS