Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What fencing do you use for your pigs?  (Read 6914 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
What fencing do you use for your pigs?
« on: May 14, 2010, 04:15:37 pm »
My OH thinks electric fencing only. I'm thinking Stock fencing with electric tape low to doscourage them rooting underneath!

What do you use and what are your experiences? ???

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: What fencing do you use for your pigs?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 04:28:38 pm »

I have stock fencing and use electric wire to keep them off of that and also to make smaller areas within the stock fence. I would be worried if there was no proper fence to keep mine away from the roads etc and to keep them out of the yard.
Anne

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 04:36:54 pm »
I use post and rail with stock fencing, but as the adults tend to lay and lean on the posts we run an electric tape all around too.  They have access to a small paddock too but that just has 2 strips of electric wire, IF the battery went down they can still only get into an adjoining paddock. My friend uses electric wire only which is great til someone nicks the battery and they all get out!! ::)

kalsi4654

• Joined May 2010
  • Pembrokeshire, West Wales
  • Solva Icelandics
    • Solva Sweet Itch Solutions and Solva Icelandic Horses
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 04:56:15 pm »
We use stock fencing with a single strand of electric wire about a foot off the ground, on stand-off insulators so it's about 8 inches away from the stock fence. We also have a strand of electric going across the gate so there's no chance of them lifting it off its hinges!  ;)

Mic

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 04:59:17 pm »
Two or three strands of electric wire only except in the piglet training paddocks which has both.  However our boar touched the electric fence and went through both it and the stock fence,  he used such force that it unravelled.  We have fencing with George shaped holes now. 

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 05:33:51 pm »
Stock fencing and barbed wire.  Keeps pigs in and dogs out, so far.  Will be reinforcing with electric fence as and when necessary.  I hate barbed wire, but so do pigs and its more reliable than batteries!

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 07:08:29 pm »
We use electric tape fencing - started with 2 strands but as the pigs have got bigger we have dispensed with the low strand. If the pigs did escape our smallholding is entirely stockfenced around the final perimeter so it would be a case of the pigs having a grand old time in the rest of the field as opposed to getting onto roads or neighbours' land. As far as we are concerned the advantage of the electric fence is that we can easily change the size of the pig area, and when we have a break in the pig keeping we can incorporate the whole area into the rest of the field for whatever we want without haveing to deal with fenced off areas.
 :pig:  :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 07:37:13 pm »
we have a mini version of our goat-proof fencing...  half pallets topped with stock fencing.
we've recently had to add extra battens to stop them squashing down the wire - now they are full grown the biggest manage to topple over like a weeble and go walk abouts!
Little Blue

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 07:50:31 pm »
As ours are in a permanent field we've got stock fencing with a strand of barbed wire round the bottom to (hopefully) stop them rooting it up. Had too many escape attempts from my weaners with the battery powered electric fence to trust it with fully grown kune kunes :(

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 08:42:41 pm »
I've got stock fencing with 2 low strands of electrified wire to discouage digging under. The electric wire is held away from the stock fencing about 4 inches so it keeps them well away. Touch wood nobproblems at all so far.

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 09:02:04 pm »
same as sudanpan really, weaner's take some training tho and they defiantly know when the battery needs a charge!  ::)
Altho we do have a sow who wont cross the line where her tape has been even if we have moved it to give her more room!! it takes a lot of food and patience to move her!!!

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 09:06:25 pm »
I have stock fencing with a barbed wire strand on the ground.  Seems to have worked OK....well so far anyway!   :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 09:06:49 am »
I have mains fencing, found the battery unreliable.    :pig:  Hilary always knew when it was weak.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 06:24:03 pm »
we have three british saddleback pigs for the last six months and we have used the electric strip
fencing.
in those six months only one of our pigs has managed to get out three times, not to far either.
i think that is pretty impressive as i wanted the more expensive at the beginning but my wife kept
reminding me of our budget! ( where would we be without you!)
you have your plastic post for putting in the ground, you have your battery to run it and
you have your three strips of electric bands.
we got it on molevalley.com
i have to say as said in the beginning i was very doutfull, but would recommend it.
good luck with what ever you choose.
langdon :pig:
Langdon ;)

rogermunro

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 06:41:26 am »
stock fencing   and 2 strsnds electric   .  save money on insulaters  cut blue water pipe 8 inch stips flattern 1 end  nail to post drill hole in other end and feed wire through  . 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS