Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Planning for mobile home  (Read 5965 times)

Tas09Igs29

• Joined Jul 2016
Planning for mobile home
« on: July 20, 2016, 08:54:32 am »
We are looking at putting a mobile home on my father in laws farm land....
My father in law lives in a house at the top of the farm land but we want a mobile home on the the actual farmland not in his garden (obviously if in his garden we wouldn't need planning)

The reason for this is due to him getting older and his wife being very disabled (in wheel chair can only move her head bless her :(..)  he is struggling to be able to get round all the live stock and care for his wife.

My husband works for him being a game keeper and the live stock is birds... we have birds on the field all year round so they need tending to all year round

I know we need to go to the planning people in our councI but we are wondering would they say yes or not how does the laws work regarding living all year round on agricultural land?

I've done some research but I can't find an awful lot of help... just wondered if anyone has done this and how they went about it

Man I hope this all makes sense lol Thanks in advance xx
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 09:14:08 am by Tas09Igs29 »

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Planning for mobile home
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 10:10:27 am »
You'll need to prove agricultural need (i.e. 24/7 care), and potentially financial viability.
Is he retired? If not can the business support two workers?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 10:37:39 am »
I don't know what age you are or where  but there are some monies available I think for under 40's going into partnership on farm ... and allowances on planning law for barn conversions for young people staying on farm  ... so I guess caravan too?

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Tas09Igs29

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 11:28:44 am »
His plan is to retire if we can live there so he hasn't got to do any of the late night checking of the birds and stuff.... the business involved my husband and his brother anyway if thatshe what you mean?

I'm 23 and my husband 25.... we live in Norfolk have you got any more information on that please? As could be worth a look.

Also for security reasons being on  the back field  (farm land) and pest control with foxes! This year we have had to many birds killed by them even tho we have electric fencing and stuff at least if we lived there it would make lamping nights easier for my husband so we don't have to travel to get there.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 12:29:30 pm »
investigate succession planning for farmers ... here in Wales lots of support .... you would need to see what is available in England ... but would guess you should find quite a bit of help.  (unfortunately funding was probably from  EU! ... no political discussion please ... I was just stating fact)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Tas09Igs29

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 12:31:54 pm »
Oh don't worry I don't know a thing when it comes to politics lol!... okay thank you

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 01:00:26 pm »

Also for security reasons being on  the back field  (farm land) and pest control with foxes! This year we have had to many birds killed by them even tho we have electric fencing and stuff at least if we lived there it would make lamping nights easier for my husband so we don't have to travel to get there.

Security won't be relevant and neither is pest control really, i doubt.
Annoying but that's the LPA for you.

Tas09Igs29

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 01:07:19 pm »
What's LPA?

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 01:13:35 pm »
local planning authority

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 03:35:41 pm »
Your best bet is to talk to a planning consultant who will know all the ins and outs and the things that need
playing on.

Someone near me, who breeds game birds - hatches and raises them on 2 acres of land - recently got PP for a log cabin. The planners were against it, but he employed a planning consultant who made a very good case for him having to live on site, and permission was given.

Don't get a big national firm who will charge a forune. There should be someone local who will know the best way to approach the local authority, and will probably advise you initially for nothing, and charge less than £1k to put your plans in if the scheme is feasible. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 03:38:26 pm »
. There should be someone local who will know the best way to approach the local authority, and will probably advise you initially for nothing, and charge less than £1k to put your plans in if the scheme is feasible.

You can likely find such a person by reviewing relevant planning cases in your area. It should be all available on te council/lpa website. We didn't bother, we just did all the reading and formed up the business plans and accounts forecasts ourselves. But it was pigs, so maybe easier than birds.

Tas09Igs29

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 03:38:37 pm »
Ah okay then I will let my husband know and let him sort that out then thanks x

Tas09Igs29

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 03:39:47 pm »
. There should be someone local who will know the best way to approach the local authority, and will probably advise you initially for nothing, and charge less than £1k to put your plans in if the scheme is feasible.

You can likely find such a person by reviewing relevant planning cases in your area. It should be all available on te council/lpa website. We didn't bother, we just did all the reading and formed up the business plans and accounts forecasts ourselves. But it was pigs, so maybe easier than birds.

We have 2 saddle backs would that help? Lol probably not...

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 03:40:13 pm »
have a look on LPA website see who's put in similar plan application over the last few years, see who they used , usually turn out that one local planning firm is getting things past ,so best go talk to them

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 03:53:01 pm »

We have 2 saddle backs would that help? Lol probably not...

Ha ha no. We planned for 150 pigs on site producing 250 pigs a year total...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS