Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: No hay!  (Read 3547 times)

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
No hay!
« on: July 13, 2016, 07:42:33 pm »
I have just been informed by my local feed supplier that he wont be getting any more hay until September, I've managed to get a couple of bales of dusty unpleasant hay which my girls don't want to eat. So, I'm looking at the only alternative which is prepackaged haylage. I've never used it and my supplier can't tell me which would be suitable for goats or for instance if its chopped.

Can anyone advise please - he can get Horsehage, Silvermoor and Hill Meadow. I've looked on the respective website but admit I am confused as to which one would be suitable and I can't find any info onto the actual length of the stalks. ???
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
Re: No hay!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 08:47:58 pm »
Is there no-one else nearby that you can buy hay from? Most farmers will sell you a bale or two if you ask nicely...have you asked on Preloved/Facebook etc?

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 09:06:12 pm »
Thanks Silkwood, well its a bit early for hay here in Shetland and the only other feed merchant is a 90 mile round trip away where I got the old bales from  :(

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 09:24:43 pm »
Bummer :-[ Any horsey folks about that might have some bales left over from last year that they could sub you?

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 10:16:14 pm »
I've fed Horsehage to the horses and it's lovely stuff - long stalks.  One of mine a couple of winters was getting three slices of hay and one slice of Horsehage mixed together and fed from the floor, he would stand there and very carefully wiffle through the pile to make sure he'd finished every single last bit of Horsehage before he'd consider starting on the hay!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 02:47:27 am »
I reluctantly went on to haylage for my goats over winter, luckily mainly dry, it would last about 3 weeks, kept inside so it's dry and cool.
I'd kept some small hay bales back, knowing haylage wouldn't do for summer. They don't seem to like the dry hay now, and there seems to be much more wastage on the floor. (Or is it that I notice it more when bales are £4 each as opposed to £20 big haylage bale.
Hope you find something soon, know what it's like to be running out and none available :-(.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 08:54:09 am »
I've fed haylage to non milking goats, Pygmies, bagots, angoras and all seem to fine on it provided it is the finer stuff not the thick stalks. Indeed it can be more 'forage like' than hay. No one likes changing the goats diet unless they need too but good haylage has to be better than bad hay?
My main reason for not doing haylage is the shorter storage period and the need to use bags quickly. However.......
We have got our hay in but a lot around here are still struggling and this is supposed to be the driest part of the country. My contractor would rather we went for haylage as he can get it in much quicker so I think that trend to more haylage less hay production will continue especially if we get another wet summer next year.....
Ideally I would aim for my herd to be able to have either.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 10:28:37 am »
We've ordered 12 big bales haylage from same place as last winter, she likes it on dry side for horses, that should see us over the winter months. We'll buy small bale hay off a ocal field for summer use. If all goes to plan anyway :-).
Have to say haylage seemed nicer to handle than dusty hay.
Doesn't help Polyanya just now though.

Polyanya would it help to givet the hay a good shaking outside? Might freshen it up a bit?
Would it be possible to mow some grass to feed them?

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 05:27:01 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone - I am looking at small bale 20kg Horsehage which like you say Pharnorth has got to be better than old dusty hay and I suspect that anyone who had any spare would have advertised it when the livestock went out to graze. I suppose I could try washing it (just imagine hanging it on the line to dry  :o) but it doesn't smell nice either - stale and fusty which is why the goats aren't interested. I don't have a large area for hay and straw storage otherwise I would have bought spare.

I'll have to give it a go, its only for a few weeks.

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 08:20:49 pm »
Don't get the silvermoor its short cut as a couple of horses on yard have it and it just falls out there hay nets

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 11:04:25 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone -
' has got to be better than old dusty hay and I suspect that anyone who had any spare would have advertised it when the livestock went out to graze. I suppose I could try washing it (just imagine hanging it on the line to dry  :o) but it doesn't smell nice either - stale and fusty which is why the goats aren't interested.
Chap near us makes rubbish hay, first time we had hay made we used him, took 2 of us to lift the bales, I thought they felt damp, but presumed he knew what he was doing :-(. Took a couple of years to use the last up as mulch etc.
Anyway, someone with horses said they had to dunk the bales in water, then the horses would eat it.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 11:06:18 am »
The plain Horsehage stuff (Rye) is great for goats, if a bit pricey. I have used it, and if you only have a couple of goats I would spread it out in adry place (we used the polytunnel)) to dry it off a bit more.

The main reason for not feeding haylage is the greater risk for goats wrt listeriosis, which they tend to get easier than sheep and only rarely recover from after massive AB doses and often with ongoing problems. I guess however the Horsehage stuff is tested, and should be safe to use.

My goats also love freshly scythed grass (not when wet) and used up within a day/max 2 days- if packed in a bag (it will go hot after that and start to go off). We have also (in years with lean summer hay supplies) scythed grass (using the brush cutter atttachment on the strimmer, not the string) and spread it out in the polytunnel to dry off and fed over a few days - they go mad for it. Needs turning (like hay).

So rather than feeding crappy hay, a compromise bewteen (expensive) haylage and (free, except for your labour) grass should be possible over summer.

Plus loads of branches and other green.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 02:05:35 pm »
Try advertising for Some?  Local Shop?

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 07:04:33 pm »
Thanks again for all the suggestions - feel a bit happier about giving a commercial haylage and have already been chopping grass for them plus they have pasture too  :relief:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS