Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: an idea-Opinions needed  (Read 2408 times)

Kier

• Joined Jul 2008
an idea-Opinions needed
« on: May 12, 2010, 10:40:56 pm »
Ok so as some of you may of read,1 of my bantam dominiques hatched today.We left it 6 hours and waited till he;s fluffed up and have moved him into the cage with a heat lamp.However he seems a bit lonely and as though he is looking for something else.As soon as i put my hand in he runs in and sits on it,its unreal lol however i'm thinking about putting a clean soft toy in there like a small duck or something to provide him with "company" until his brothers and sisters hatch and join him,What do you guys think of this idea?I've heard it done with wild birds to try and replicate their parents so they can be released back,but dunno about the implications of doing it like this

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: an idea-Opinions needed
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 10:54:18 pm »
we've done it before with no long term problems for the bird;tend to find that it snuggles up to it to sleep.

Kier

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:10:53 pm »
sweet i'll give it a ago,Was just worried cause i heard about imprinting and thought the chick would get annoyed when it grows up and i move it away lol.thanks for the reply

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 12:53:35 am »
We tend to leave ours in the incubator until another few have hatched as the cheeping "eggs the others on" a bit (excuse the pun) and the eggs often cheep back. I think the cuddly toy is a nice idea though... Let us know how it goes

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 10:18:43 am »
We tend to leave the first ones up to 12 or 24 hours (depending on where night fits in!) before moving, gives others chance to hatch.

As a fair proportion of mine have been e-bay eggs and I only have small incubators, my perpetual worry has been 'what if only 1 hatches?'  I have had hatches of 0 and 1 from such eggs, so now I add in 1 or 2 of my own (proven fertile) eggs just in case.  Needless to say I then get quite a good hatch rate from the bought eggs!
Fortunately when I did just get 1 I'd had a batch hatch a couple of weeks earlier, so I put a couple of them in to 'mother' the new chick.  Unfortunately the mothers turned out to be male, but never mind, no harm done! 

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 11:08:37 am »
it worked for us last year when we had a bad hatch. the bad side is that the kid you nicked it off will be just a bit annoyed.

Kier

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 11:56:19 am »
we bought a toy mouse for the cat however we gave it to the chick for company before the cat,so the cat was the one that missed out on this occasion lol.We put two other chicks with it today and they've intergrated well.We've had two batches of eggs off ebay and so far *touch wood* we;ve had sucess on both occasions and hope to do it again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS