Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bad chicken ????  (Read 1569 times)

andy harris

• Joined May 2010
Bad chicken ????
« on: May 13, 2010, 10:42:29 am »
We are new to having chickens we bought 3 hens last week and they are 9 weeks old now.1 of them looks sorry for herself all puffed up and her poo is all watery could there be something wrong with her ? dont know if they have been wormed as i got them from a farm and iam feeding them layer pellets.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 10:53:32 am by andy harris »

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
Re: Bad chicken ????
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 10:51:11 am »
When were they wormed? What are you feeding them?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 11:04:07 am »
I would suggest you feed them growers pellets if possible, until they are about 16 weeks old, before progressing to the layers pellets.
I would also worm them all - can either put wormer in water, or get the stuff to mix in with feed, although you will have to buy a larger box made for lots of hens.

It is also possible that if they have been with a lot of other hens at a farm they have picked something up before leaving.  Thats why I always isolate new hens before putting with my free range flock.  Another possibility is the hen has got chilled, change of home, new house etc.  9 weeks is not very old, and they will have been used to all crowding into a corner of the shed to keep warm, not as good with only three of them.

Are the hens on grass, or in a run? 

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 11:05:23 am »
yup worm and at 9 weeks they are vunerable to infections. so maybe worth getting a drentch from the vet. with luck it should get better.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS