Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Are there no crafts going on?  (Read 12269 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Are there no crafts going on?
« on: July 10, 2016, 11:46:06 pm »
No one's posted on here for ages. Are you all too busy with outside jobs to do any crafts?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Are there no crafts going on?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 12:02:12 am »
Mostly yes, too much to do outside. 
I did though yesterday spot a pollarded willow which has lots of bits ideal for basket weaving.  I plan to get those cut and maturing to try my hand in a couple of months time.
I bought some carded sari silk at Woolfest and have just started spinning that - it's bumpier than expected, but I think it will look great when it's all spun.  I have 200gms.
My art yarn spinning is progressing very slowly indeed, because whenever I feel like immersing myself in it, I'm called away to do something else  ::).  I need to experiment a lot to produce something I like - colours are too mushy so far.
The only other thing I still have to do is to repair the ever expanding hole in the sleeve of my favourite jumper.  I'm going to knit in an invisible patch, with extra yarn I kept by from the original spin.

So what about you MGM and everyone else?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 01:17:28 am »
I've just finished a woven scarf made using the Ashford vari reed I bought at Wonderwool.

It enables you to use different thicknesses I your warp. I will post a pic when I think about it.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 07:10:58 am by Bionic »
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 06:21:07 am »
You been on the bottle again Sally?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 07:11:26 am »
Bleep bleep bleep predictive text.  Amended now
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 07:19:34 am »
I took 13 zwartbles fleeces to Halifax spinning mill last week for washing and carding.  Paul said he would mix a bit of softer stuff with some of it to give me another texture to play with.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 08:36:08 am »
I have just finished a dress and coat for my nephews wedding, I always get inspired to,get the sewing machine out when the Sewing Beenis on TV. I am now weaving a scarf, having put the warp on my loom by myself instead of taking it to the workshop where I learnt to weave this winter. It is going ok ish, so may post pictures when finished if I like it! Next project is to weave some cloth from my hand spin to incorporate some Zwarbles yarn from my soon to be neice in law, to make them some cushions as part of a wedding present. Not sure when all this will get done, midnight oil perhaps!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 09:47:14 am »
I'm crocheting a teapot  ::)  it's to finish off my entry for the novelty crochet item at Turriff show. I've done the cup and saucer, a load of cakes so just need to finish the teapot and do a plate for the cakes.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 10:55:36 am »
I'm crocheting a teapot  ::)  it's to finish off my entry for the novelty crochet item at Turriff show. I've done the cup and saucer, a load of cakes so just need to finish the teapot and do a plate for the cakes.

Don't forget the tea cosy - that might actually be useful as well!  :D

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 05:42:16 pm »
I've had a break from woodcrafting since last November due to funds/winter but am starting back on Friday, going just once a month to use the workshop rather than weekly but I sold the two river mirrors and one of the clocks so am left with a large/long expensive yew mirror, an expensive pitch pine table and a couple of really nice clocks plus a couple I want to go back and refinish with a bit more style cos I think they look a bit dull by comparison..

The half made oak/elm cabinet needs finished so I can be a real cabinet maker, there are pieces of decorative boxes needing put together, and I've more yew to make a shorter river mirror if I can work out exactly where to make that once only cut that could make or break it's beauty!  I also have a commission to do but have been procrastinating on it for months, so it really needs done or given up on. 

Without the regular discipline of workshop time with supervision of the owner/expert I just don't have the confidence or motivation to get going again myself so when I ran into Jim in Cupar a couple of weeks ago I decided it was a sign to get my bum in gear and finish things off even if I never do any more - tho I need a trip to the wood supplier for the commission and know fine well I'll fill the boot with unique pieces that cry out for something to be made from them.. !!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 07:03:55 pm »
Which wood supplier do you use Ellied?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 12:50:22 am »
I am spinning some extra Llanwenog that came from Backinwellies, to finish the jumper that I started last year. I'm also crocheting a shawl for myself with the merino and silk tops that I bought at Wonderwool last year, intending to make a shawl for my expected grandchild. As he is 9 months old now, he's a bit old for a shawl so I am having it. Need to spin some more of that as well.

Also knitting a summer cardigan for youngest granddaughter out of commercial yarn. Today I extracted my small peg loom from the craft room and hope to have a go on it tomorrow with some silk strips (Wonderwool this year). I've also made some twiddlemuffs for people with dementia and also one for my brother in law who has severe learning disabilities.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 09:36:54 am »
OK - I'll ask it  :D.  What's a twiddlemuff?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 04:39:30 pm »
We did the Tour of Britain Ladies' Race in June - I say 'we' but in fact I just cheered from the sidelines, despite good intentions to spin rare breeds on the days they went near Stoneleigh. 

Then it was Woolfest, to which I took 3 of my sheep for the British Coloured Sheep Breeders' Association stand.  First time ever doing anything like that; great fun.  And the fleeces from the two two well-coloured sheep (Mr Pie and Gissy) sold within the first couple of hours, along with Wincey's very black, lustrous Wensleydale fleece, to a buyer from Japan!  #feelingvalued

Then it's Tour de Fleece, and I have been managing to spin at least a little every day.  I'm aiming to stash-bust my Indie-dyed fibre, with a view to experimenting with using my own handspun for weaving.  I'm really wanting to get into my stock of Freyalyn's Fibres, but as I hadn't spun much for a while, I've started with some other braids until I think my spinning can do Freyalyn's fibres justice. 

First was the Romney my pals bought me back from EYF, which I thoroughly enjoyed spinning and which I think I've done well enough to make a good warp.  I've got some predominantly pinky singles I think will go beautifully with it for the weft. 

I'll need more than just the Romney for all those singles, though, so started on some dyed-on-grey Shetland.  Beautiful to spin, and I love the colours - but it's coming up darker than I want, so although I'm very happy with it for a warp, I think I'll not use it with the Romney.  I wasn't sure about how a fabric might behave that had some warp ends Romney and some Shetland anyway.  Still haven't decided what to use alongside the Romney... :thinking:

Next, when I've finished this Shetland, I think I'm ready for some Freyalyn.  Not sure whether to spin up the Kingfisher on BFL/silk first, which I'm planning on sampling chain-plied and 1-to-1 before spinning up the whole 200 grams.  I'm thinking weft, but might come to another conclusion once I've got done samples to play with.  Or, I may decide to spin Vivien on Wensleydale next, which I want to spin fine high twist, and chain ply for blocky colours, probably for knitting socks (hence the high twist).

It was Wool on the Wall on Sunday, so that took the weekend up.  The fleece sale was great, a good variety of good British fleeces, including some rarities.  I resisted buying - somehow! - but did order a Lleyn from a local farmer.

And, in between and alongside all of that, I've been progressing with using the DK cotton warp I have on my rigid heddle, which was for learning but which I haven't been so motivated to do since I got the 8-shaft ;).  Plus, I love wool, and am less drawn to cotton.  Having said which, my buddy and I bought delicious cottons at Woolfest for making tea towels - they will be the most expensive tea towels ever, but the colours are beautiful, and we'll have a lot of fun doing them.

And I've pretty much always got some Fair Isle on the go - it's the second Otter Beret at the mo; the first was for BH in his choice of colours - and some socks. 

Will add some pics when I've worked out how to make them smaller on the iPad.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 04:42:27 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 06:12:57 pm »
Which wood supplier do you use Ellied?

Mostly Scottish Wood at Oakley near Dunfermline, they have bins you can root through for nice shapes but also keep a room full of pieces they've already picked out as specially nice for craft work and cabinet making.  It's like catnip in there for me, burr elm, yew, spalted beech, offcuts and slabs 3" thick, I spend an hour in there at least!

Also go up to one mill near Dunkeld and pick up odd bits from the likes of Jim at Chancefield in Cupar when he has spare and I'm passing by.  And Jim Brown my teacher who has the workshop I use up at Kincaple, sometimes has pieces I spy and make use of when I'm there, tho not so much now as he sent me to find my own a year or so ago!!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS