Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Photos of Molly's swollen udder & Teat  (Read 7015 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
Photos of Molly's swollen udder & Teat
« on: May 12, 2010, 06:26:37 pm »
All advice is much appreciated
Thanks
Langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
Re: Photos of Molly's swollen udder & Teat
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:04:58 pm »
doesnt anyone want to comment or give any advice?????
i know i took ages to get the pics up, but they are there now.
sorry if this sounds rude,but with all the replys beforehand to this topic i thought one or two
of you who have shown interest would have replyed.
again sorry if you think im am rude, i just hope you can understand.
thanks langdon :goat:
its all about the goats
Langdon ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:17:42 pm »
Sorry, can't help - know nothing about goats. Beth (Balingall) should be able to but she's on fairly late.  It looks pretty big - is it hot as well as swollen and what is the milk like that you get from it?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 11:20:21 pm »
Langdon if you are that worried, don't wait for replies get the experts, call the vet.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 11:33:08 pm »
Langdon, we are not being rude or ignoring you .......I have just this minute got in from feeding all my animals, and have turned on my computer, grabbed a bar of chocolate and a can of lager........... :D

Thank you for posting a pic of Mollys udder.  Yes, it does look swollen, and that teat too.  Is there any possibility that Milly is sucking at Mollys teat, or indeed Molly herself??  That teat is larger than the one on my goat who is feeding two kids.  It has just appeared and wasn't like that when she came to you?  Just wondering if she has kidded before maybe.

That is not what is normal on a young goat who has not kidded.  I think you said the vet had seen it, but what did he say?

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 03:11:48 pm »
i know you guys arent been rude, i owe ye all an apolige.
thanks for replying :)
never noticed milly doing that to molly( how strange if it was)
vet said mastitis was not the case.
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 03:32:03 pm »
Apology accepted :D

Another possibility, has Molly had a graze on her udder maybe, or around the teat, and a fly has bitten it, and its got infected? That does happen, and also the sucking of their own teat.  If its not mastitis, and its now always been like that, then I honestly do not know. But, as you are not milking her, I would think the milk (if there is any) would dry up, and the udder reduce in size.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 07:04:38 pm »
there was a little scab on her udder when the vet seen her, he gave her an injection of
draxin incase she nicked it on thorns.
he was worried about an infection.
do you think it might do her good to have another injection?
langdon ;)
Langdon ;)

sporter

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 10:37:08 pm »
Hi there,

I am no expert - as you know by my recent posts  ;) but my mum had a 'maiden' goat who had exactly the same and mum eventually milked her which she said led to her being milked for a few months an dthen it tapered off naturally until she kidded, mum was here tonight so I asked her about your udder problem  ;D and she said you run the risk of opening the seal on the teat which can lead to mastitis but if its very swollen and she comes from a strong dairy line then maiden milkers are quite common. Have you tried milking her or have you decided against that? Not sure if that helps but I am sure there are far greater experts than moi on here!!!

Sarah

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 09:24:26 am »
aw thanks for reply ;)
i was told not to milk her cos of her age e.g. her bones still growing therefore needing the calcium.
we bought her from a tourist attraction farm (folly farm).
we dont know if she had kids before, i dont think she could now that she is only 11mths old.
im hoping that if there is any milk in her it might dry out before she can go to a billy, if that would help her.
did you see the photos of it?

Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 10:49:55 am »
The other side of the udder is not swollen is it? If she is so young, then, no, she will not have kidded before.

If that was my goat, I would not milk her.  For one thing, she will not like it, not having kidded, and you will struggle I would say. Plus, there will not be much milk after all that.  Keep an eye on it, and if you think either the udder or teat is pink, shiny or hard, or changes in any way, then get the vet out.  It may not be be milk in there anyway, she could have had an infection.

The goats I had who milked without kidding, had an udder on both sides.  It may just be because she was having so much concentrates, but now she isn't things should go back to normal, hopefully.

Try not to worry, if Molly looks ok otherwise, is not kicking her udder or looks ill, she is ok. Just watch for any change in the udder size or any hardness there.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 11:53:55 am »
thanks roxy for reply
her udder is just swollen on one side and as you said she is good in every other way.
i have just looked up my notes and i brought her to the vets on april 10th when we first noticed this.
he gave her an injection of antibiotics in case of infection DRAXXIN
he noticed a little scab on the udder and was worried in case she grazed it on thorns or something.
i thought that one dose would have done the job, thats why i didnt go back again.
if it is an infection is it to late to go back for a second jab, or is it best to let it run its course if it is
not bothering her in any other way.
thanks langdon :goat:
again im so sorry for being an arse the other day.
my wife gave out hell to me when she read what i said
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 12:27:25 pm »
Ah, it was your wife giving you a hard time, that made you apologise then?  It is possible that the graze on Mollys udder gave her an infection, it is a very tender area.  I would have thought the injection would have sorted things.  Its costly having vets, but if you are worried, I would ring up, explain that she was seen by a vet, but the udder still looks swollen, would it be advisable to have another injection/check the udder in case there is a problem still.

It does sound as if Molly is not in discomfort thought, so like I said, keep an eye on her, and fingers  crossed the udder will reduce in size, as to me its either the graze on her udder, or the fact she was stuffing so much goat feed down, and doing well on it :D

Have you got a billy lined up for the Autumn?  Could post you one, or both down - they would like a holiday in Wales :D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:30:45 pm by Roxy »

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 07:03:33 pm »
you could post a billy down, that would be a surprise for the post man!
i have a few contacts for studs.
hope all is well with you.
p.s. i felt an arse well before beth read that post!
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 11:30:05 pm »
I like to see men grovel when they are in the wrong :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS