Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for land  (Read 3306 times)

Teresa

Looking for land
« on: May 12, 2010, 04:42:07 pm »
My boyfriend and i are looking for ten acres of so for sale or rent in cambridge/essex/suffolk area. We've tried all the regular routes like land and farm sites, rightmoves, vantageland etc also the mod sites and councils but either the land is seriously over priced as its pony paddocks or its huge pieces of agri land. We're looking for scrub land to improve or have thought of asking farmers in the area if they would consider selling a piece of their land but not sure how to go about it. Anyone have some ideas?

andy harris

• Joined May 2010
Re: Looking for land
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 09:23:22 pm »
Sorry dont know if you tried it but have you looked at landshare run by hugh fearnley whittingstall
                                          www.landshare.net

Teresa

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 10:02:44 pm »
 :o no i haven't! ill go have a look now, thanks alot ;D

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 10:12:21 am »
Hi Teresa

About 4 years ago we were in the same situation as you. The good news is we now have 2 fields comprising 24 acres, 1 of which we rent to a farmer. So we are working on one 12 acre field.

The ads for land just didn't seem to work. Each time we saw something interesting we would put in an offer about 10% over the asking price and get nowhere.

We found a company called Woodlands, see:-

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/buying-a-wood/east-anglia/

who buy a large area of woods and scrub, divide it into plots (typically 5 acres) and sell them off. The price is fixed and you can buy one or several plots (if you are quick). This might be what you are after. The drawback is that the plots are priced for prime agricultural land but are often fairly low value scrub. Also, you don't know who will be your neighbour. I leave you to speculate what they might be like!

Anyway, what worked for us?

We noticed that one or two estate agents were active selling land in the area we were interested in. We approached one and paid several hundred pounds for them to act as land agents on our behalf. They advertised and got some offers of land privately so we had first pickings. The agent advised on what to bid. We got our land at what seemed like a high price at the time but the asking price for similar land has gone up since so it's been a reasonable investment.

We may sell our second field if we need the cash or realise we have enough with one 12 acre field. It's our choice.

Completing the purchase involved a solicitor who did the usual (house purchase) checks on ownership, boundaries etc. This took several weeks but went smoothly.

I hope you find what you are after.

Good luck

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Teresa

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 03:10:56 pm »
Hi NN

Thats sounds like our best way to go. We did try landshare but it is mainly gardens and allotments but a very good idea if you want to help someone else.
We've found pieces of land and made offers and like you its just been beyond our grasp and someones else has pipped us to it. We had been watching 11 acres is Essex for well over a year (this is how long we've been trying to pry a loan from the bank for) seen it advertised for 69k, go to auction for 100k which no one purchased and then on the market again for 69k and then a few months later back to auction for a guide price of 65-75k only for it to go for 98k!
I have been looking on the woodland and meadows site but again anything suitable has already been snapped up but ill get in contact with them and see if they or the people that are heads of the area we're looking at can act as land agents or even at cheffins.
Thanks for the reply :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS