Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A message to Foxy loxy, ha ha ha  (Read 12960 times)

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
A message to Foxy loxy, ha ha ha
« on: May 12, 2010, 03:06:19 pm »
Dear Mr fox,
A few weeks ago, you chose to pay us a visit. Due to my carelessness you were able to make more than a casual aquaintance with several of my feathered lady friends. Being personal friends of mine who had had a long hard working life in a battery cage, I was obviously most upset about this. but thankyou for your thoughtfulness in leaving a few feathers lying on  the grass, leaving me in no doubt as to who the cuprit was. We now have a new Government, Mr Foxy Loxy  and hopefully within a few months we will be able to play Catch the Fox again. So just to warn you ............... Run Foxy Run foxy Run Run Run, Here comes the Hunters with their hounds hounds Hounds.............. :)
juliag

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: A message to Foxy loxy, ha ha ha
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 03:11:07 pm »
 :) :) :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 03:43:09 pm »
I'd be afraid (if I were the fox) I'd be VERY afraid lol!  ;D
But do the hunts actually play a major part in controlling fox numbers ?
I'm not wanting to start a debate on the rights or wrongs or anything ;) it's just that we have never really had hunts in this area, so I don't know much about them. It always struck me that they were more about getting out with the horses and the dogs for a nice day rather than as an effective form of pest control ???
(I'd be sitting with the 12 bore just in case  ;) ;D ;D ;D)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 04:04:22 pm »
We have two local hunts in our area, but obviously they can only go over suitable land, and adhere to health and safety issues, where the public have access etc. etc.  and of course with the landowners permission.  We do not have them over our land, or any of our neighbours. And to be honest, I would not want them, as my ponies, goats etc. would probably end up jumping out onto the lane or something.

Much as I don't want the fox round my hens, I am not in agreement with chasing a fox miles with dogs.  I much prefer the method we have here, which is out at night lamping and shooting them.

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 06:00:26 pm »
I think more got killed when the ban came in!, as farmers and gamekeepers didnt "save them up" for the hunt, they went all out and got each and every one they could find
I do enjoy hunting, lamping and working my terriers. As long as the fox population is being (atempted) to kept down every one is kind of a winner  :-\

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 07:37:48 pm »
I always get into a difficult debate about hunting. I used to live in a hunting area and many people made thier living from it, all walks of life, not just rich people, anyway, rich people should be able to have fun too. I also was married to a farmers son who's land was used and he regulalry recieved monies for repairs etc!! Not a bad thing to enjoy sport when Mr Fox will otherwise get trapped in snares or die from lead shot!!!!! I think I understand all the fors and against but still love to see the hounds and horses working!!!!!  ANyway, my married name was Foxon, they lived near Foxton so  ???????

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 08:12:56 pm »
I love to see the hunt, and after Mr (or Mrs) Fox took my light sussex pullets I would be glad to see its return - in the meantime, hubby has just applied for his shotgun and firearms licence!

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 09:25:52 pm »
Do many foxes get caught by the hounds.......... Well a little story for you!
I was out following on foot one day and was stood in a gateway between 2 fields with about 4 other people.The hunt was clearly visible in the distance about 3 fields away. In the field in front of us Mr Fox was making his way steadily up the hedgeline. No panic, winding his way up through the hedge fairly steadily and sedatley. When he got to about 50 feet away from us he left the hedge he looked straight at us and turned and headed back towards the hounds about 40 or so foot inside the field. (fairly long grass with a fair amount of cover). I watched in horrid facination as the hounds came up the hedgeline, very excited with their noses firmly to ground, weaving their way through the hedge slowly following his exact path. Foxy drew level with them (we could clearly see him) and if the hounds had the sense to lift their noses from the ground they would have seen him too. But they carried on to the top of the hedgeline whilst he calmly went on his way back the way they had come. Because foxy had doubled back the hounds were confused and went straight on into the field behind us. We all kept quiet , rightly or wrongly we felt that he had beaten the hunt and confused the hounds.my                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Oh and the reason behind my story............. I love watching hounds work but they are pretty stupid, not the cleverest of mutts!! :D
juliag

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 11:02:37 pm »
There are no hunts in my part of Scotland. My sister lives 5 mins from me and last year a family of foxes moved into her garden. The cubs were fearless, wandering right up to her back door, although mummy fox kept her distance.
She phoned the Environmental Health and the RSPCA but both just said "Aaaaaawww how cute!" and did nothing. Eventually they moved on. The vixen now yowls in the field right across from my house. I have a 6 foot wall and an eglu "allegedly foxproof" run, so fingers crossed!
If they are pests I would rather they were culled by shooting rather than being chased by a bunch of red-jacketed people on horseback with dogs. There is something OTT and obscene about that, IMHO.

Sandy

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 08:20:25 am »
That's fine but the thing is not too many Fox's are shot and killed out right,they are fast and clever, my father in law used to often see Fox's die slowly from wounds all the time. Another prospective is, a landowner I knew used to encourage Fox's onto his land in order for there to be Fox's for his local hunt so it's not all about culling at all!  I like the hunt not for how many Fox's they kill, for me not killing any would be fine but I love the sight and sound and excitement of it, I like that there are still some traditions that give the country identity and would love to have been involved but never was or will be. I do see others point and a lot of people find the hunt pompous and elitist and now I am rambling

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 07:28:17 am »
I think it is more obscene to go out in the morning and find 11 of your 12 hens ripped to pieces by some useless fox Vair.When it has happened to you you just might change your mind ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 09:24:39 am »
Think you misread that, George.  Val wants them shot, as do I! 

I've been on many shoots with my dogs, and on training days.  If we see a fox, our guns will take them.  They are NEVER left to die!  The dogs are trained to retrieve 'runners' (winged birds or animals- even foxes)  Our trainers and landowners who offer us the ground for shoots, field trials, and training shot over days, are always very adamant that no pricked game is left to die.

I see hunts as a hobby for the participants, not a method of control.  It is much more efficient to go out and shoot them.  The correct animals can be culled that way - old and infirm dog foxes for instance, which might otherwise have a long slow death.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 03:59:20 pm »
OH good thats all right then. :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Sandy

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 10:54:25 pm »
I doubt that the hunt actualy controls the Fox population, they do litle harm only emply rural people and give people some other hobby, I really cannot see the reasoning behind getting rid of the hunt. We are carnivors and no matter how many of us do not eat meat, that is our natural instinct, to hunt!!!!!! Beats trapesing around Tesco!!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 07:55:02 am »
Hello agen Sandy I enjoy a traipse round Tesco Was a time when Kath and I could not afford to shop in Tesco but this new method of supply they have is very good for a family of two all sorts of things in 50p packets and there is more than enough for Kath and I They have a great DUSTBIN in the Grimsby Store we all ways have a look We had Roast ham off the bone last week with of course BB 8May and it was all lumps which had pushed off with the carving.There was 420g and it cost 99p Which turned into a beautiful Ham and Egg Pie.We only use the Food Hall Although I put the Freedom 400 in the trolley its to far for me to go round everything.Then we go to Lidl for our fruit juice etc;We like it It makes a morning out.Soon have our own veg we have been on salad leaves some time now. :D :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS