Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Details for movement licence - Help!  (Read 9392 times)

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Details for movement licence - Help!
« on: July 03, 2016, 06:14:38 pm »
I am completing the EAML form to take the pigs to the abbatoir tomorrow and I am getting bamboozled by the question "Type of Pigs". I mean what the hell is a "finisher pig" or a "cull and controlled finisher" ?

They have been raised outside for meat and are now 6 months old. What should I put?
________
Caroline

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Details for movement licence - Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 07:27:19 pm »
I always left that out, made no difference! If the abattoir insist, let them put it in!

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 07:32:20 pm »
Can't recall if it insists on answer. If it did I put finisher pig. I've no idea what a cull and controlled finisher is either., so,assume I had no control!

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 09:17:25 pm »
Thanks, Have gone for Finished Pig - Non controlled.

Wow it would be good if they could put an easy to follow key on the website.
________
Caroline

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 09:27:29 pm »
My OH took some pigs to the abbatoir last year, declared them "non-controlled" (which I believe is correct for outdoor reared pigs) and they got very awkward as they had to test for some type of parasite and told him that if the pigs had it, the carcasses would be condemned and he wouldn't get them back. He was not amused but luckily they were ok and came back safe. It was a worry though.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 11:00:14 pm »
The UK is currently about halfway through an EU imposed trichinella testing regime. This means that pigs that are reared in non controlled housing, ie outdoors, are required to be tested for trichinella at slaughter. The box you tick on the eaml2 form is the only thing that the vets at the abattoir use to determine if your pigs require testing. As far as I am aware the FSA have never actually come out with any of the promised guidelines as to what "controlled" or "non controlled" housing actually is, or at least they haven't told anybody in the pig world if they have. It is down to the pig keeper to decide which box to tick. Your abattoir may be able to advise you which box to tick.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 09:43:38 am »
The UK is currently about halfway through an EU imposed trichinella testing regime. This means that pigs that are reared in non controlled housing, ie outdoors, are required to be tested for trichinella at slaughter. The box you tick on the eaml2 form is the only thing that the vets at the abattoir use to determine if your pigs require testing. As far as I am aware the FSA have never actually come out with any of the promised guidelines as to what "controlled" or "non controlled" housing actually is, or at least they haven't told anybody in the pig world if they have. It is down to the pig keeper to decide which box to tick. Your abattoir may be able to advise you which box to tick.

Neither is there any penalty for declaring wrongly i don't think ;)

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 11:56:02 am »
Thanks all. The abattoir accepted them, so just hope all tests are fine and then I have a weekend of sausage, bacon, ham and chorizo making  :excited:
________
Caroline

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 02:03:08 pm »
Thanks Hughsey, that makes sense. My abbatior does the test and only inconvenience is it takes another 24 hours before you can collect the meat. I couldn't find anything on what was 'controlled housing' either.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 02:19:39 pm »
A finisher pig is this.....
Grower, a pig between weaning and sale or transfer to the breeding herd, sold for slaughter or killed for rations  Finisher, a grower pig over 70 kg (150 lb) liveweight.
Cull pig would be an older pig or a sow which hasn't performed well, could mean literally any animal maybe which you have too many of or its not perfect for breeding.
Controlled finisher I think it means they have been recorded from birth weights, weighed reguarlarly and given certain amounts of feed to get to a certain weight on time? Am I right in thinking this?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 03:33:25 pm »
I took controlled in terms of biosecurity, not weight. Can't see why Defra would care two hoots about whether the weights were regularly recorded.  Nonetheless, we are all filling in these forms when a bit of simple definition on the website might mean they got accurate answers.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 08:35:38 pm »
A finisher pig is this.....
Grower, a pig between weaning and sale or transfer to the breeding herd, sold for slaughter or killed for rations  Finisher, a grower pig over 70 kg (150 lb) liveweight.
Cull pig would be an older pig or a sow which hasn't performed well, could mean literally any animal maybe which you have too many of or its not perfect for breeding.
Controlled finisher I think it means they have been recorded from birth weights, weighed reguarlarly and given certain amounts of feed to get to a certain weight on time? Am I right in thinking this?

No. Controlled is entirely down to the housing system the pig is reared in.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 08:40:21 pm »
If the testing is an inconvenience, eg delays the turnaround of your carcasses or causes any other problems, your abattoir can advise you on which box is applicable to your pigs. To test or not to test rests entirely on where the tick is placed. Nobody will ask you for any evidence to back up your choice of tick box.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 10:16:05 am »
As I understand it trichinosis can be a mild disease in pigs but potentially fatal in humans ingesting improperly cooked pork products.  I suspect it's more of a problem in European countries where they eat pork prepared in different ways to those which are usual  in the UK.  The USA has had a big push to reduce its incidence, mostly involving not feeding uncooked waste to pigs, which is illegal here anyway. I wonder if the abattoir testing is another incidence of one-size-fits-all EU regulation.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 02:00:53 pm »
Yes MF I believe we do not have trichinella in this country. We used to only test sows. Testing causes a time delay for the slaughterhouse whilst the results come back so your carcase has to stay with them longer.

There is an explanation of controlled and non controlled for the purposes of the question on the eaml2 system. The link is to the right of the question.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS