Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Details for movement licence - Help!  (Read 9388 times)

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Details for movement licence - Help!
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 03:16:16 pm »
After taking the pigs and speaking to the abattoir, we explained we were not sure and they crossed out the "non" bit so left it as Finisher - Controlled so the testing was not needed.

I agree I think it is a one fit all that is more relevant to other EU countries. It is just the website document gives some guidance but it is very generic and hard to interpret. It may be more of a risk in high production sites as well where biosecurity is potentially an issue.

I have made a note of this so the next time I take pigs, I don't have this headache. (Hopefully)
________
Caroline

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 09:50:55 pm »
There hasn't been a case of trichinosis in pigs in this country for over 30 years. The EU however would not accept that the UK is free of it without first proof being obtained by a three year testing program. The whole thing is a box ticking exercise.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 10:08:21 pm »
After taking the pigs and speaking to the abattoir, we explained we were not sure and they crossed out the "non" bit so left it as Finisher - Controlled so the testing was not needed.

I agree I think it is a one fit all that is more relevant to other EU countries. It is just the website document gives some guidance but it is very generic and hard to interpret. It may be more of a risk in high production sites as well where biosecurity is potentially an issue.

I have made a note of this so the next time I take pigs, I don't have this headache. (Hopefully)

I'm sure they were happy to cross out the "non" bit  ;) 
The important bit on the BPEX guidance is what they consider controlled and they say organic and free range are "unlikely" but don't rule out they could still come under controlled so not helpful really. As you say you know for next time.

Bio security is a risk for all pigs. Whilst the result of  a bio security fail could cost a commercial pig unit dearly they possibly have better bio security than smaller producers and for most units their pigs would be in controlled housing.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 02:17:04 pm »
Reading the guidance, it seems to go along with what I was told by other farmers, that ticking 'controlled' means that you believe there is no way that rats or other wildlife could have come in to contact with either your pigs or their feed:

http://www.eaml2.org.uk/resources/000/966/942/BPEX_GUIDANCE_ON_CONTROLLED_HOUSING_CONDITIONS_FOR_TRICHINELLA.PDF

Interestingly, I was not aware of the final bullet point before: "New animals may be introduced onto the holding only if they come from holdings also officially recognised as applying controlled housing conditions" which would rule us out even if my fields were guaranteed rodent free!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS