Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs and Dogs  (Read 2285 times)

Teresa

Pigs and Dogs
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:50:21 am »
How well do pigs and dogs get along together? Will pigs tolerate a curious dog? I'm hoping to have pigs in the near future and i will always have a dog or too so would like them co exist without too much worry.

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
Re: Pigs and Dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 10:03:42 am »
Hiya i have got 7 pigs, a dalmation (Lily-Boo) & a small collie cross (aka The Buckinghamshire Long Legged Rat) and when we first got the pigs both dogs were straight in and they have never seemed to bother each other, quite often in the mornings i will find a couple of pheasants in the ark which the pigs are not sleeping in as well!!

Now geese on the other hand is a different matter as Lily-Boo's bum found out at the weekend!!! she was walking in front of me and straight past the geese, and as the the geese bravely ran away one of them came back when the coast was clear and pecked Lily on the bum!!! that was the funniest thing i ever saw and she very oquickly stayed by my side then

Have fun you will love the pigs, they really are as addictive as people say  :pig: :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:17:02 am »
Tess, our collie, loves the pigs until they get big enough to lift her with their noses, then she stays on this side of the fence. There's some video on TAS of Tess playing with piglets.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 12:58:35 pm »
My big German Shepherd, Boris, loves playing with the weaners  ;D He's not so sure of the fully grown kunekunes though, but he's a big softy ::)
As long as your dogs are quite calm and well behaved I would think they'd be fine.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 07:36:05 pm »
at the mo we have three british saddleback pigs.
also we have one sheepdog under one year of age, who is very curious!
the pigs are bothered at all when he comes over for a nose around.
mind you the electric strip that runs around where the pigs are keeps him at bay,as this morning
when i was feeding them he must have tried getting to close to them and got a slight shock on
his nose!!! which kept him well back.
so from my experience there is no trouble.
loangdon ;) :pig:
Langdon ;)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 07:39:00 pm »
spelling mistake just noticed!!
my pigs ARENT bothered, they pass no attention to him ;)
Langdon ;)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 08:15:19 pm »
I have 2 gsd they are naughty! I have electric tape on the OUTSIDE of the pig pens to stop the dogs biting them through the fence, grrrr!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 10:11:35 pm »
our GSD (who goes silly at pretty much everything that moves, or might think about moving!) had a thing about licking the pigs' noses through the fence. was funny when she made them sneeze, then they startled her!!
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS