Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fox? Or chicken?  (Read 9115 times)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: Fox? Or chicken?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 02:11:22 pm »
What ever you do DO NOT TALK TO DEFRA Do not talk to anyone Do it and bury it.
Farmer was at the fat stock market and the mobile Rang It was No1 son "Wot" I have just run over a pig wi the new Deere Dad.It's laid underneath squealin its head off.What shall I do Dad."Go and get a 12 bore and shoot it then tek it behind the drier and bury it afore anyone see's it".Half hour later phone rings agen"Now Wot" What shall I do wi his walkie talkie Dad?
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 03:13:40 pm »
oh dear.
how did the badger if it was get in. i can imagine they could walk throuch chicken wire or under but it would be clear to see. the lack of traces makes it more likely to be something smaller.

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 04:08:46 pm »
I've just found a gap in the boundary and a very distinct badger run (trodden down grass like something's used the same route several times) so I guess that's how they're getting in. I knew we had badgers visiting as they dig up pig nuts and steal the occasional egg but i never for a second thought they'd attack a chicken. I guess I need to spend this afternoon checking all my fences and blocking up any holes.

Still doesn't explain the duck and geese though...

Maybe I have a badger AND a fox problem!  :'(

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 04:12:21 pm »
The wing is proken at the top and the bone has come through the skin. There's still blood getting to the wing and there's no dislocation but there also doesn't seem to be any way to splint it. There's no blood loss but she's very quiet and making a gurgling sound. I don't want to have to kill her but she's obviously suffering.

If I do kill her I think it'd be a waste to just throw her away and would quite like a chicken dinner but the other half says she couldn't bring herself to eat one of our chickens. I'm torn now. Maybe the neighbours might enjoy her...

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 04:15:38 pm »
I would give the badger some H.V.L.T as we like to call it......................................... High Velocity Lead Therapy!! preferably from a double barrelled 12!!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 04:41:10 pm »
whitby just kill her she will die she will get an infection and die very slowly and painfully. im not sure if she is safe to eat. there maybe puncture wounds from whatever bit her. feed her to the dogs if you want or bury her if you don't want to cut her up. but she needs to die.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 04:58:27 pm »
W.P. Also known as it wants balancing 230 grn: of lead in the lug hole Works wonders They usually lay down after being treated permanently!
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 08:00:25 pm »
Sam, that is more than 24 hours since you told us about that chicken and you've done nothing.  Put her out of her misery or treat her someohow or other.  It is difficult, I know it is.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 08:42:39 pm »
I was heeding Wizard's comments of "Tell Nobody".

I dispatched her this afternoon with my .22 it was very quick and painless. I carried her to the bottom of the field, talking to her and telling her it's going to be alright... I'm sure you know the rest.

I guess I can call myself a proper farmer now having raised and culled my own stock. I know I did the right thing and she's not suffering any more.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 09:11:20 pm »
Well done,Sam, you are braver than I am, I'd have had to get someone else to do it.  I have killed a pheasant with a broken wing but wouldn't be able to kill one of my own animals.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 11:16:33 pm »
Well done whitby. you will learn to recognize when things are not gotng to make it. saying that we have a rejected piped goose egg/gosling in the incubator. i would have left it but i have a want to be vet in the family and if it survives we will end up with another pet goose. to join mousa and fluffy. you just can't eat them when they think of you as mum. well i can't anyway. odd its only geese i have no problem with eating the chucks and turkeys. no problem with sheep or pig either.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 01:07:39 am »
Sam you did the right thing. Tough but necessary. Sad to kill anything but if badgers are at your stock cull them but not if any chance of young sorry but don't agree with that..

kalsi4654

• Joined May 2010
  • Pembrokeshire, West Wales
  • Solva Icelandics
    • Solva Sweet Itch Solutions and Solva Icelandic Horses
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 05:09:13 pm »
We're in North Pembrokeshire where Defra have just started an experimental cull of badgers. Yay!!!
 ;D

Mic

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS