Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame sheep  (Read 1571 times)

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
Lame sheep
« on: June 26, 2016, 07:11:13 pm »
One of my 5 month old lambs has started to l;imp.  We caught her and had a look and there is obviously a sore area that was very soft to touch.  I have attached a photo.  Any ideas?  Should I get the vet to take a look?  Although the hoof looks quite overgrown this is all very soft so should I trim that away or will it just wear away?

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
Re: Lame sheep
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 07:18:37 pm »
Forgot the photo  :innocent:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 07:53:04 pm »
May be a toe granuloma.  There appears to be little horn around the edge of the clee to take the weight of the lamb.  Might be worth having a word with your vet.  I wouldn't trim the feet and would put the lamb on soft ground to try and prevent the soft area becoming abraded and starting to bleed.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 02:53:16 pm »
She's possibly caught it and thrown a granuloma. 

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 04:23:55 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  I have spoken to the vet after emailing him the picture and he said it was strawberry footrot and to spray with antibiotic spray.  Probably caused by an injury or trimming back the hoof too far.  As I haven't trimmed the feet at all it must have picked up an injury somehow.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS