Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Layers pellets  (Read 5651 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Layers pellets
« on: June 16, 2016, 10:47:54 am »
What are the best brands of these you have ever bought and your experiences with them? I did try wynnstay ones, but the hens hated them, so I went onto a different brand altogether. I use my local brand which is ''CCF own brand''
The hens seem to love it and so far I have found it has the best list of ingreidants in them. The only problem I am finding is the amount of soya that the own brand uses, I can't remember the ratio/amount they have in them, but I know it is quite a bit. The question now is..... do I switch brand for them, due to the soya quantities or do I keep with the same brand?  Could anyone tell me what brands they use which are lowish in soya and how much they pay for them please? Or isn't there a brand with low soya in? Would be great to hear opinions guys!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Piggerswiggers

• Joined Jul 2015
Re: Layers pellets
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 11:47:15 am »
I hate to sound like a thickie but what's wrong with soya?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 03:21:02 pm »
the vast majority of soya is GM which is why I am trying to keep the intake of it in their diets low, I just cant seem to be able to find a brand which doesnt have as much soya in.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 03:42:52 pm »
Allen & Page's Smallholder Range is as GM-free as you'll get, I think.

Their Non-GM Policy : http://www.smallholderfeed.co.uk/Non-GM-Policy.aspx

Their factsheet on GM feeds : http://www.smallholderfeed.co.uk/uploaded/documents/Genetically-Modified-Ingredients-SMR.pdf

Info about their Free Range Layers' Pellets : http://www.animalfeedstore.com/Small-Holder-Range/Natural-Free-Range-Layers-Pellets.aspx

As far as I can see, it's soya-free as well as non-GM.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 04:12:39 pm »
 As soya is the main protein source nowadays in poultry feed and hens need the protein in order to produce eggs, you will have difficulty sourcing an adequate  feed that doesn't contain it.

An excellent source of quality protein used to be fish meal, and the hens used to love it, but it isn't generally used now. Other possibility if you really can't live with GM soya is to mix the feed yourself.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 04:27:00 pm »
The Allen & Page Smallholder Range one I linked to is 16% protein and contains no soya.

You got me on 'ignore', landroverroy? ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 06:01:28 pm »
Thanks for that @Sallyinthenorth will definately be trying them and see. I noticed they also do lots of other animal feed, very interesting TY for that! :)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 07:35:45 pm »
The Allen & Page Smallholder Range one I linked to is 16% protein and contains no soya.

You got me on 'ignore', landroverroy? ;)

No Sally - I read, mark, learn and inwardly digest most of your posts.  :thumbsup: :sunshine:

And I have looked up the links you added.

But having studied animal nutrition I was always led to believe that fish meal was the finest protein for non ruminants, closely followed by soya. Bean meal and maize gluten  are poorer quality proteins and have fewer of the essential amino acids in; and non ruminants (eg hens) cannot manufacture them for themselves.   That is why I said you would have difficulty sourcing an adequate feed without soya. It's really a matter of complete indifference to me whether people use GM protein or not as everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But I'm just pointing out why soya is used so extensively.

I'm not saying the Smallholder range is rubbish or you won't get a good supply of eggs when using it. But it's highly likely that it is manufactured for free range hens who can rummage for worms and insects  and so make up any deficiencies.

There's obviously a lot of people use this range quite happily and good luck to them

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 07:43:47 pm »
I'm glad I asked!  Thanks landroverroy  :)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 07:32:15 pm »
Organic for us - HiPeak layers No 2.  Very happy.  Contains Soya which grates me dearly but it is organic however prob flown across the world to get here.  Hate Soya as a product.

I had some layer mix from B&W and it was a mash the hens went down hill fast and only after checking the ingredients shocked that it was mainly soya.

Hipeaks contains an excellent mix. Think it works out around £10 a bag as we have a 1t bag plus delivery. I supplement with seaweed meal and daily scrapes. Oyster shell avail.  My hens are pasture raised and moved around regularly.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 07:33:51 pm »
I have read up and fishmeal is also not sustainable and using seaweed meal is a much better substitution.

F.CUTHBERT

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 03:50:05 pm »
Wouldn't have thought there was much protein in seaweed tho.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 05:32:55 pm »

I think fresh, raw kelp is about 10% protein

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 11:20:28 pm »

Seaweed is a supplement for minerals, vits and good for the guts.  Used in cattle lick buckets.  Not concerned about its protein. Its better than fishmeal for supplementation.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS