Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Impending flock reduction / part dispersal  (Read 7148 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Impending flock reduction / part dispersal
« on: June 15, 2016, 05:38:26 pm »
I shall be reducing my flock numbers considerably this summer, preparatory to moving, with just a small flock, to my new home in North Cornwall at the end of September.

The sheep have been bought and bred for fleece for handspinning.

This is an early notice of impending sale.  I thought I’d better let people know before Woolfest, in case anyone wanted to talk to me there, or see/buy some fleeces.  I shall have three of my sheep on the British Coloured Sheepbreeders’ Association stand, so you can see examples of the flock there.  (Although it’s against the rules for me to offer them for sale, or to let members of the public touch them, at the show.)  There will be coloured fleeces for sale on the BCSBA stand and white ones in the main Woolfest fleece sale.

Sheep to be sold later in the year include :

Ewes

Dot Cotton (2011) – Manx Loaghtan, multi-horn, unregistered, 4-crop (3x twins, 1x single.  Reared twins 2015 and 2016.)  All her Shetland x offspring have had very interesting fleeces, and her daughter Dulcie Grey (2013) has always been one of the first three ewes on the list of those I am taking with me.  I shall also be taking one of Dot Cotton’s 2016 daughters and quite possibly one of her 2015 wethers, as well as one or two of Dulcie Grey’s daughters.  DC’s own fleece is short staple, but a lovely rich chocolate colour, and usually quite soft.

Pricket (2011) - Manx Loaghtan, multi-horn (one a spike), unregistered, 5-crop (Single 2013, twins since.)  A breeder of good breeders who breed good breeders.

Goldie (2012) – Castlemilk Moorit, unregistered, geld as a yearling, twins 2015 and 2016.  Good mother, very tame.  Passes on fine fleece to her Shetland x offspring, although her own fleece is very short staple and therefore not the easiest to use.  Had a small anal prolapse as a yearling but has had no recurrence.  I will be taking one of Goldie’s 2016 ewe lambs with me.

(reserved) Anya (2012) – registered Shetland, black, 3-crop.  Single black ewe lamb 2014, grey katmoget ewe lamb and moorit tup lamb 2015, black and moorit tup lambs 2016.  All her lambs have had wonderful fleeces.  Anya is also known as ‘Tatty Ears’ as she shredded her ears losing her first set of ear tags.  She’s a pretty laid back ewe, however.  Very reluctant sale – I just can’t take them all.  I am taking her first daughter, however. 

(reserved) Wincey (2014) – registered black Wensleydale, 1-crop.  Tremendous lustre in her fleece, which is a real black (although the tips will fade.)  Needs clipping early in the season or there will be some felting on her back.  Has done a great job with her strapping Shetland x single tup lamb (grey katmoget, looks to be a very interesting fleece.)  (Lamb reserved)  Has had an abcess on the back of her right ear; vet unconcerned.

Gimmers

Silver (2015) – Castlemilk Moorit x Shetland.  Horned (2, swept back.)  Very nice fleece; fine like Castlemilk Moorit but more staple length.  Musket katmoget; I anticipate the bulk of the fleece being very light brown.

Pricket’s daughter (2015) – Manx Loaghtan x Shetland.  Horned, 2 small slightly more erect than swept back.  Rich chocolate brown (tips fade.) 

Buffy’s daughter (2015) – 7/8 Shetland, 1/8 Castlemilk Moorit.  Polled.  Lovely fleece, probably not coloured, or maybe cream.  Lambed as a hogg, had a very nice single ewe lamb, did a great job.

Gissy (2015) – 7/8 Shetland, 1/8 Castlemilk Moorit.  Polled.  Bottle-reared (mother had 3 that year, a single the year after.)  Lovely fleece, expected to be very light brown.

Lilipad (2016) – 1/4 Blue-faced Leicester, 3/4 Shetland.  Polled.  Grey katmoget (bulk of fleece white.)  Gorgeous fleece.  Lambed as a hogg, had twins.  I took one off to help Lilipad along; she has been a very good mother.

Rosebud (2016) – Shetland x North of England Mule.  (So 1/4 Blue-faced Leicester, 1/4 Swaledale, 1/2 Shetland.)  Horned (2, swept back.)  White.  Lots of nice fleece.  Lambed as a hogg, did a good job with twins.

Denny (2016) – Shetland moorit, unregistered.  Looks to have a nice fleece and to be a nice little ewe.

(reserved) Anya’s daughter (2016) – Shetland grey katmoget, unregistered.  Lambed as a hogg, had a ewe lamb the spitting image of herself.  Very nice little ewe with a super fleece – lots of grey tones in there.

Cinders (2016) – 3/4 Shetland, 1/8 Charollais, 1/16 Beltex, 1/32 Swaledale, 1/32 Blue-faced Leicester.  Grey katmoget (bulk of fleece white), polled.  Lambed as a hogg, did a great job with a very nice lamb. 

Chutney (2016) – 1/4 Manx Loaghtan, 3/4 Shetland.  Musket katmoget, polled.  Lambed as a hogg, did a great job with nice twins.  I think she will be a good breeder.

Sauce (2016) - 1/4 Manx Loaghtan, 3/4 Shetland.  Moorit, polled.  Chutney's sister.

Adult Wethers

A variety of 2015-born Shetland and Shetland x wethers, some with white fleeces, some moorit, some grey katmoget.  Some horned, some polled.   If you want your grass eaten, your own fleece but not the bother of lambing, perhaps you’d like a few of these boys?

2016 lambs

I haven’t got them completely catalogued yet, but there are boys and girls of: pure Shetland, Shetland x Manx, 1/4 Manx, Shetland x Castlemilk Moorit, Shetland x Wensleydale, 1/4 BFL, Shetland x Mule and 1/4 commercial.  Mostly musket katmoget or grey katmoget (most fleeces will probably be mainly white in adults, except one 1/4 BFL wether and one 1/2 Wensleydale wether which I think will be greys all over), moorit (brown – the Manx crosses are a rich chocolate brown), some white.  One black-and-white splotchy 1/4 Manx wether.

There will be some very nice moorit and katmoget ewe lambs, both pure Shetland and crossbred, and one or two white, if anyone wanted to start their own fleece flock with ewe lambs.  (I'm taking a few, but I can't take them all!)

On pricing, I will be keen to find nice homes for the breeding females, and handspinning homes for any wethers with nice fleeces - so talk to me ;)   

I am also receptive to purchasers wanting any of these animals to rear/fatten for meat; realistically, I am unlikely to find handspinning homes for all of them!  The meat is fantastic - dark, lean and tasty. :yum:

As a guide, I've just sold two of the 2015-born white wethers (one 1/8 Castlemilk and one 1/4 BFL) in the primestock ring, and got £56 a head.  I sent two 2014-born wethers too (one 1/2 Manx, one 1/8 Castlemilk - I'd wanted another fleece off each of them), and they fetched £71 a head.  (If you're wanting meat for yourselves, two summers gives a decent size for home use.  They can be kept on longer if required.)

The sheep can be collected from their home on Hadrian's Wall in north Cumbria, or delivery within a reasonable drive.  I may be able to deliver in Southern Scotland / Borders - please ask.  Delivery to Devon/Cornwall later in the year may also be possible. 

Ewes rearing lambs, and this year's lambs, will be available from end August.  Wethers and ewes not rearing lambs any time.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 06:20:05 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Re: Impending flock reduction / part dispersal
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 10:17:44 am »
You  will certainly  have a different  weather pattern  :thumbsup:
Hope you find homes for all your animals. Wish you well  on your new adventure.
Hope you still continue with the forum as you are one of the members whos posts are always informative  and enjoyable to read. Good Luck !  :hug:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 10:49:05 am »
Oh, I think you could feel right at home at times - folks who don't live there call it the West Country, those that do the Wet Country. 

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 10:53:05 am »
just shared on twitter, hope you don't mind, I have a lot of sheep friends on there. I hope you sell them soon and all the best with your move :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 11:24:35 am »
Best wishes for the move Sally ... certainly be warmer down there ...
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 12:21:33 pm »
just shared on twitter, hope you don't mind, I have a lot of sheep friends on there. I hope you sell them soon and all the best with your move :thumbsup:

Thanks, wbf  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 01:55:22 pm »
You will then be SallyintSouth?  Best of luck with the move  :)
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 02:16:11 pm »

lol, Juliet was suggesting perhaps I should be ZallydownZouth but Rosemary was bothered it might confuse people, and thought perhaps Sallydahnsahth (but that's SE and I'll be SW  :D)

I'm sure we'll think of something... ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 02:19:03 pm »
Oh, I think you could feel right at home at times - folks who don't live there call it the West Country, those that do the Wet Country.

I moved up north from Exmoor, so I'm used to the weather in that part of the world.

I did look up the weather stats; average days of rainfall per month is about the same as here, but the amount of rain each month is about half.  And the temperatures average about 4-6C warmer.

My Dad, visiting me in Exmoor, told us he'd met a lad when he was out stretching his legs, and asked the boy whether it always rained here.  The boy replied, "I don't know.  I'm only 6."   :roflanim:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 02:20:57 pm »
Thanks, kelly58 and Backinwellies  :)

I shall certainly continue on the forum - in fact, I may be about to post some questions about small-scale sheep-keeping!  lol

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 02:24:30 pm »
You're coming down to my neck of the woods  :wave:  get used to emmitts clogging up the roads and don't ever try to get out of the county on a saturday  :roflanim:  lots of luck with the move

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 02:28:15 pm »
You're coming down to my neck of the woods  :wave:  get used to emmitts clogging up the roads and don't ever try to get out of the county on a saturday  :roflanim:  lots of luck with the move

Brilliant!  I know where I can send orphan lambs, then!  lol

I moved up north from Exmoor, and prior to that North Devon near Ilfracombe, so I am used to the difference between tourist season and not - and yes, I remember the main routes being clogged on Saturdays when the weather was good!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 02:43:31 pm »

Brilliant!  I know where I can send orphan lambs, then!  lol

I moved up north from Exmoor, and prior to that North Devon near Ilfracombe, so I am used to the difference between tourist season and not - and yes, I remember the main routes being clogged on Saturdays when the weather was good!

Ha ha I'm getting towards the end of my tether with the orphan lamb dream  :roflanim:  trying to persuade OH to let me get some ewes, it's not going well at the moment ! Until then I guess the orphans will keep coming in their droves  :innocent:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 03:21:45 pm »

lol, Juliet was suggesting perhaps I should be ZallydownZouth but Rosemary was bothered it might confuse people, and thought perhaps Sallydahnsahth (but that's SE and I'll be SW  :D )

I'm sure we'll think of something... ;)

SallynotintNorth

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 03:49:10 pm »
Sally, if its not a sensitive question why have you decided to move back?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS