Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Need some advice please  (Read 2642 times)

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
Need some advice please
« on: June 11, 2016, 09:48:20 pm »
Hi folks.

Its a bit of a story so i hope you will bear with me.

For the last 42 years I have taken in 2nd hand dogs (thats not meant to be derogatory) and they have all lived with me and my family as much loved family members.

Four months ago, after being without a dog due to the deaths of our beloved lurcher and little one down to cancer and old age, we took in a lovely lurcher bitch, believed to be around two years old.  It was obvious that she was younger, but no matter.

This little girl has a nature to die for, loving and good with people.  She was a stray with nothing known about her apart from she wasn't good with cats etc.  No matter, i have had lurchers and greyhounds all my life and they have always settled down with them after a few weeks.  This little girl is determined that no cats should be anywhere near. I think this may be resolved with more time.

The main problem i have with her is house training.  If i am with her i can keep an eye on her, mostly. If i go out of the house or room there is a mess, both sorts, when i return, within minutes.  I have a crate, which she sleeps in and I use when i know i am going to be out of the house for a short while.  I walk round the house with her on a lead.

I have never been angry with her when she messes but i am getting to the point where i will do as my house is staring to smell even though i shampoo the carpets everyday.  I am getting very dispondent and the joy of her is going.

Please if anyone has any advice i will try it.

Thanks for reading
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 10:06:48 pm by Herdygirl »

HappyHippy

Re: Need some advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 11:27:52 pm »
I had exactly the same thing with a rescue German Shepherd I took on. He was 9 months old and incredibly nervous / anxious when left (even for the length of time it took to take the rubbish out!) even with our other boy for company.
We were able to make a large, secure outside run for times when we were going out and they had to be left alone to solve the clean up problems - I'd just fallen pregnant with my first baby so didn't relish the thought of daily bleaching and associated mess!
There wasn't any particular thing which helped, just time and reassurance. By the time I went back to work after maternity leave (12 months) he was absolutely fine, as Scarlet Dragon says - it takes them a while to realise they're home and and staying put. Are you able to make a run for her to go in, for the times when she has to be left? It's not an instant cure, but it'll save your carpets until she feels really settled.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 09:35:21 am »
We fostered rescue greyhounds, lurchers and longdogs for years and quickly found that carpets were out! We have had Rhinofloor ever since, with rugs if we haven't got a "piddler". It's hard wearing and non- slip, ideal for old dogs.
As said, this issue will take time and endless patience but will work out in the end.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 02:28:51 pm »
Four months isn't long, do you know her history? She will still feel insecure no matter how ell you feel she has adapted.  If you catch her about to do it - set up a scenario if possible - tell her NO and get her outside as quickly as possible.  And praise her to high heaven if she even does the slightest dribble!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 08:50:19 pm »
You say she has a crate - does she soil the crate? I'm thinking they don't generally soil their area, so somehow start with a small are that she will not soil and gradually increase it?  Or alternatively an outside run that you are not going to be too upset about if she poos/pees - just have her inside when you can watch her?  Something needs to happen to stop the routine.

Good luck with her xx
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 08:36:26 am »
Thanks for the replies folks i do appreciate them.  All of what you all say makes sense  :)   regarding her anxiety issues etc. 

An outside run is the answer i think and possibly another dog to keep her company as she does appear lonely judging from the middle of the night demands for me to get up and tell her i am only in bed!  She settles again after that.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 07:38:28 pm »
I have a dog here who I've had from a pup who didn't have the cleanest of starts although no traumas etc who can be a bugger for indoor toileting, even now aged almost 7.
For us, making sure she is kicked out for a pee every few hours and really really really insisting she goes (she often doesn't but its not through lack of trying!) does make life easier - when she does go outside, we have a little party and she gets a biscuit and that def helps to remind her as she loves her grub. I only ever tell her off if I catch her in the act.

Even last night after I insisted she had a wee and she insisted she didn't need resulted in a pee on my carpet this morning so its not foolproof - she has no medical issues, just had too much early access to free peeing that has become hardwired into her - so you may have an element of that too?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS